Spyware Stormer NEW KID ON THE BLOCK

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bermy123

Bermy123

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:59 AM

Yet another anti-spyware program has been released, this one is called Spyware Stormer, ClNet says it's a NEW software item. I Just wanted to know if anyone has downloaded this NEW program yet and are using it, and what ya think?

Bermy :techsupport:

#2 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:16 AM

This is a very good place to check what "anti-spyware" programmes to avoid. :)

If the one you mention is another piece of cr*p, you can be sure it will sooner or later make it to the above list. :p

Best,
R. :wave:

Edited by rosso_acido, 21 June 2004 - 07:20 AM.

I am the iron anchor.

#3 Bermy123

Bermy123

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:32 AM

Thank's for that list, I have a so called "Cr@p" program I see...I'll be sure to check that list to see about future additions...

Bermy :techsupport:

#4 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:41 AM

great list, thanks for posting it rosso :)

#5 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:24 AM

No problem. :) Glad I could be of help.

EDIT #1 - See? What was I telling you? :p

This bad boy has already made it to Suzi's blog, so it's a matter of time to see it on the list as well: Spyware Warrior's Blog (scroll down to roughly one fourth of the page and you'll find the entry for Spyware Stormer as one of the suspicious programmes).

EDIT #2 - Heh... and here's part of the EULA on the Spyware Stormer site. Why am I not surprised? :deal:

Our applications do not contain adware or spyware of any kind. Installation of the Spyware Stormer product and scanning of your computer is free of charge. However, if and when the Spyware Stormer product detects unwanted spyware or adware on your computer and you wish to use Spyware Stormer to remove the unwanted software, application, or code, you must then purchase a copy of Spyware Stormer, which includes the ability to clean your machine of the unwanted software, application, or code.

As for the Privacy Policy... This one's a gem: :gack:

Collection of Personal Information from Service Visitors
Spyware Stormer, Inc. may collect and/or track (1) the home server domain names, email addresses, type of client computer, files downloaded, search engine used, operating system, and type of web browser of visitors to Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s web service, (2) the email addresses of visitors that communicate with Spyware Stormer, Inc. via email, (3) information knowingly provided by the visitor in online forms, registration forms, surveys, email, contest entries, and other online avenues (including demographic and personal profile data), and (4) aggregate and user-specific information on which pages visitors access.

Spyware Stormer, Inc. may place Internet "cookies" on visitors' hard drives. Internet cookies save data about individual visitors, such as the organization's name, password, user-name, screen preferences, and the pages of a service viewed by the visitor. When the visitor revisits Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s web service, Spyware Stormer, Inc. may recognize the visitor by the Internet cookie and customize the visitor's experience accordingly. Visitors may decline Internet cookies, if any, by using the appropriate feature of their web client software, if available.

Use of Personal Data Collected
Personal data collected by Spyware Stormer, Inc. may be used by Spyware Stormer, Inc. for many reasons, for example, for editorial and feedback purposes, for marketing and promotional purposes, for a statistical analysis of users' behavior, for product development, for content improvement, or to customize the content and layout of Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s service. Aggregate data on visitors' home servers may be used for internal purposes but will not be provided to third parties such as marketing firms. Individually identifying information, such as names, postal and email addresses, phone numbers, and other personal information which visitors voluntarily provide to Spyware Stormer, Inc. may be added to Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s databases and used for future calls and mailings regarding service updates, new products and services, and upcoming events.

Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s Right to Contact Users
Spyware Stormer, Inc. reserves the right to contact service visitors regarding sales and other informational requests made through its web service.

Shameless scams aren't they. :bangbang:

Best,
R. :wave:

Edited by rosso_acido, 21 June 2004 - 07:45 PM.

I am the iron anchor.

#6 AB1270

AB1270

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:36 AM

I believe that it is not the real thing. It appeared on my wife's computer out of nowhere disguised as "Microsoft IE message"
When I run the FREE copy it told me that I had Ad-Aware and SpyBot.
Yeah right !!!! those programs are legit !!
And they wanted $29.95 to help me out with "my problem"

#7 [C]rOw

[C]rOw

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:02 PM

I believe that it is not the real thing. It appeared on my wife's computer out of nowhere disguised as "Microsoft IE message"
When I run the FREE copy it told me that I had Ad-Aware and SpyBot.
Yeah right !!!! those programs are legit !!
And they wanted $29.95 to help me out with "my problem"

It did the exact same thing to me last night but I already had Adaware and Spybot and Spy Stormer says I have 45 infections.

Edited by [C]rOw, 24 July 2004 - 06:03 PM.

#8 rolypoly

rolypoly

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:47 PM

whew! That was a close one.

I got the same message, that this spyware program was sent from IE and/or Yahoo DSL.

It said my computer had 43 bugs on it.

I ignored it at first, but it kept popping up....wouldn't stay down.

So I thought, how bad can it be if it is sanctioned by IE and Yahoo DSL so yes, I clicked YES.

Naturally I had a problem downloading. <<<everything I have read about this program was happening to me.

I ran as fast as I could to my add/remove programs window and uninstalled this nasty boy. Thank goodness I caught it before it had time to attach to any thing else.

I know better, but I was weak. :ugh:

#9 CyberRaptor

CyberRaptor

Move Zig

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

Has anyone heard of a program called Spykiller? It seems to detect a bunch of spyware, but then asks you to pay to have it removed.

#10 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:16 PM

Has anyone heard of a program called Spykiller? It seems to detect a bunch of spyware, but then asks you to pay to have it removed.

Don't go near it.... it's on the rogue spyware list (see Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites).

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#11 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:17 PM

SpyKiller  spy-killer.com
maxionsoftware.com false positives work as goad to purchase; this application is bundled in MaxNetShield (same company) as spyware protection [A: 6-26-04 / U: 6-26-04]

From http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm

Gahh Dude you're faster :cool:

Edited by H@ns, 27 July 2004 - 01:18 PM.

Nucia Security Forums - Dutch Anti-Malware Support

#12 adwarereport

adwarereport

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:29 PM

You can find a third-party SpyKiller review here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button