Microsoft Security Site is good but not great

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jjr16

jjr16

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:38 AM

The Microsoft Consumer Security Site is a good place to start for home users if they don't know anything about security and privacy issues. Something is better than nothing! But keep in mind that just because some software is popular does not always mean it is better (could be simpler or better financed or...). So, see the other forums to fill in the blanks.

In summary, I noticed that:
  • The current version of Windows XP's built-in firewall is not mentioned upfront as not protecting outbound Internet traffic
  • The antivirus section does not mention that antivirus software is not a "cureall" for all forms of malware, spyware, adware, etc.

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:17 AM

They also don't mention that the best fix for all the Windows holes is found here:

http://www.mandrake.org

Or just that Firefox is inherently more secure and safer than Windows.

http://www.mozilla.o...roducts/firefox
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 jjr16

jjr16

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:49 PM

Well, actually....

Using another operating system besides Windows would help considerably, but of course Mandrake is not perfect. As I remembered after my first post and before I saw your post, there is a website called the Open Source Vulnerability Database (OSVDB) and it is self described as: "OSVDB is an independent and open source database created by and for the community. Our goal is to provide accurate, detailed, current, and unbiased technical information." So, search for Mandrake in their database for details about that OS's vulnerabilities. But on the flip side, search for Windows and get a good laugh. B)

Also, it was probably a typo, and so I will repeat and agree with you: Mozilla Firefox is inherently more secure and safer than Internet Explorer. BTW, I am currently writing this using Mozilla 1.6 on Windows 98SE.

OK, I'll stop now. Since, if I keep going you'll think I am really nit-picky or something. ;)

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:16 AM

Oh, don't worry.

I use Linux at home, but because everywhere I go is a Windows shop, I had to learn 2000 Server and Server 2003.

People stare at me dumbfounded when I say I don't get viruses, worms, or spyware, and they ask me just what the heck I'm running.

I smirk and answer "Linux."

And you're right; Mandrake is far from perfect, but then again, those who run Linux generally have an in-depth knowledge of the system they own, and they know what's good and what's bad.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button