Does Kazaa lite contain spyware?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leprechaun 316

leprechaun 316

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:20 PM

I know Kazaa is terrible for Spyware but does anyone know if Kazaa Lite, the supposed spyware free alternative, is in fact spyware free? I've heard it is, but I didn't see it on the list of Spyware Free P2P programs on the main page. It wasn't on the infected list either, and I always preferred it to any other program, so any information would be brilliant.

#2 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

I would not suggest Kazaa in any way, shape or form - Even if it has "LITE" in the name. P2P programs will infect your system, period because you are downloading from another person's computer where there may not be any safe guards.

#3 leprechaun 316

leprechaun 316

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:07 PM

I realise that, but i need P2P for my music. Is there any way of checking for spyware on a program?

#4 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:24 PM

Thats not the reason it is not supported.

Kazaa Lite is illegal. It is "warez". It is a cracked version of the pay copy of Kazaa. If you install Kazaa Lite and read the TOS it clearly says

1: KAZAA LITE K++ TERMS OF USE

This installation package was created to save you the work of cleaning the original Kazaa software from all third party software yourself. By installing the software included in this package you agree to take ALL responsibilities that you would have if you personally modified the original Kazaa Media Desktop software instead of using this installer.

All terms referencing to 'Kazaa Media Desktop' or 'Kazaa' in this document also apply to 'Kazaa Lite K++'.

Please note that installing this software is ILLEGAL and is in violation of the Kazaa Media Desktop Terms of Use. If you do, however, install the software contained in this package, you agree to take ALL responsibility for your actions.

#5 Verge

Verge

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:46 AM

I got rid of kazaa since the b2b player or whatever it is called kept coming up as spyware. But i use Winmx, i havn't had a problem with that. And for the record, Since i have last heard, Kazaa is Legal if you live in Canada.

#6 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:07 AM

I don't have Kazaa Lite on my computer anymore, but when I did, Adaware always picked up a .dll file that it considered spyware...it was part of the search bar, I believe (I can't think of the exact file name offhand). When deleted, Kazaa would no longer load or function. I ended up adding it to my ignore list (after I re-installed it after deleting that .dll file)...also had to add it to the ignore list on my Norton's AV since it detected it as a "potential risk". I uninstalled KL tho, probably the smartest thing I ever did :) So no, it's not totally spyware free. I also ended up getting 2 password stealer trojans on my puter from using Kazaa, so good riddance to that mess

#7 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:55 AM

Kazaa may be considered legal in Canada - Actually, if you look into P2P networks are considered legal and that you can get files for personal use from them. BT Kazaa LITE IS not legal. THe program was stolen, modified and redistributed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button