Get Back at Them

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jdscogin

Jdscogin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:25 PM

I believe that the way companies like WTOOLSA and COOLWWWSEARCH make money is that evertime the popup occurs on a computer, the site that it pops up gets a count and then pays the company on the number of hits from them they get.
So I am wondering if there is a way to find out how the popups link to the web page and copy that. Then create a program that would pop up that page over and over. That way amount the company has to pay the pop up company would greatly increase. It would take some computing power and many people doing it, but it might just cause the popups to backfire.
Anyone else have thoughts on this? There has to be something we can do.
The Malware and Adware is getting crazy.
:evilgrin:

#2 Muriel

Muriel

scholar of crapware's demise

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:53 PM

Why lower ourselves down to the muck with them?

I've mentioned elsewhere that Mike has been trying to spread the word regarding a possible future law to help thwart malware if enough people contact their senators and demand it.

It's called SPYBLOCK Act, S. 2145, and while maybe not as immediately satisfying as watching the malware folks' systems sizzle, it'll have more widespread and lasting effects. :cool:

#3 Jdscogin

Jdscogin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:02 PM

:wave: Thanks for the info. I just emailed my Senator Ron Widen. He is a sponsor. Hope it passes.

#4 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:44 PM

One of the earlier Cws variants was very insistent in hijacking people to their site. It would redirect on nearly every action. Eventualy that site got taken down, probaly because it couldn't handle all those connections. Anyhow, you don't need to pay fools- they reap their own benifits. :huh:
Rights are never important until you don't have them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button