CWS trojan that won't go away

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flamtastix

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:06 PM

i'm hoping someone here can help me with this...when i run HijackThis i get these two entries that won't go away. my home page will be fine right after i run HijackThis, but then a few minutes later it gets hijacked again, and these entries show up again, here they are....

O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)

there's nothing else that i can find that's causing the problem. whatever variant of CWS this is, it's trying to corupt my CWShredder...it almost didn't boot one time and i got an error message saying that it was being corrupted by a variant of CWS.

anyway, if anybody out there knows what else i can do, please help me out...btw, i think the variant is called CWS.Searchx.

thanks a bunch,

#2 ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:04 AM

Hi flamtastix,

When I have troubles like that, I start my windows in "safe mode" and run all my anti-malware software again.
Sometimes it helps because "malware-files in use" can't be removed in "normal mode".
If that doesn't help at all and I really want to get rid of the nasty malware, I reformat and reinstall my pc.
Let me tell you this :

1. There are about 78000 spywares and 63000 viruses on the internet and NONE of these protection/removal software guarantee you a COMPLETE malware-free harddisk. They won't tell you that, because they want to sell their product. That's business.

2. Each anti-malware software works with a "Malware Definition Database" and
each anti-malware software has a DIFFERENT "Malware Definition Database".
Some anti-malware softwares remove only 500 malwares, others remove 25000 malwares.
Some anti-malware softwares remove a malware, that isn't removed by another
anti-malware softwares.

3. Malicious people, create new malwares all the time and if you are infected by them, none of these anti-malware softwares will remove them until they are added in their "Malware Definition Database".

Once I realized that :
1. I learned how to install my harddisk from scratch.
2. I learned how to save my personal files.
It sounds weird, but this is the VERY BEST solution, when you are in REAL trouble.

Of course you need a hardware/software firewall and different anti-malware softwares/shields to protect your pc on a daily base, but a 100% safety doesn't exist.
With google you can find good websites with alot of advices how to protect your pc and of course a forum like this one is also very helpfull.

What I'm doing right now is making a collection of all these good advices/softwares and once I have them all, I will create my own protection based on that collection.
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#3 cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:13 AM

Here are my standard recommendations.

SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.

IE-SPYAD puts over 4000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

Both are very small free programs that you run once, and then just occasionally to check for updates.

And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here

#4 ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:37 AM

Hi cnm,

I see it this way.
If you put 100 people together and ask them "How do you protect your pc ?", you get 100 different answers and all of them are convinced they have the right solution, whatever their reasons may be.

On the internet it's even more difficult : who is who on the internet ? Who is what on the internet ?
Am I talking to a housewife, a truck driver or a real computer-expert ? You see the problem ?
For me to find out what is bad, better or good.

In fact, there is no perfect software or software combination.
In the company, I'm working for, we often buy software and after testing a software our last question is always the same : "Can we live with this software, in spite of all the disadvantages ?"
Simplicity is always brilliant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button