Photo

Whats the best FREE software to delete spyware?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chris_top_her

chris_top_her

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:20 AM

PLEASE!!! My computers going soo bad now... theres an ad every two minutes, its going so slow too... And for some reason when I turn my computer on its opening up windows explorer in the system32 folder! I dunno whats wrong with it!

#2 staroad

staroad

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:25 AM

Try Ad-aware 6 and ZoneAlarm (Lavasoft.com), ;) i think you will be ok!

Edited by staroad, 23 June 2004 - 05:27 AM.

#3 Tuntis

Tuntis

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:41 AM

Do you know that ZoneAlarm is firewall, not spyware removing tool?

But you still should have firewall.

#4 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:37 AM

Spybot S&D, Adaware, Hijack This, and Spyware Blaster (this prog is more of a shield against spyware though, I don't believe it deletes it), just to name a few :)

Edited by Rogue298, 23 June 2004 - 07:46 AM.

#5 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:16 PM

All the above listed and SpywareGuard :D

#6 Queeg

Queeg

Drunk

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:51 PM

I also recommend CookieWall for automatically killing tracking cookies.

#7 Kaeus

Kaeus

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:09 AM

Thank god for System Restore, and thank god all my spyware came around the same time, well at least the severly hard to remove ones. Thats the only way I could get rid of it all.

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:09 PM

I would recommend the following to help remove and prevent spyware/adware/trojans ect..

1. Spybot (free. Already mentioned above)

2. Ad-Aware (free. Already mentioned)

3. WinPatrol (free. Helps block trojans and spyware. Very useful)

4. Ewido (free anti-trojan)

5. A Squared (free. anti-trojan/anti-malware program)

6. X-Cleaner (free version available. Removes spyware)

7. Spysweeper (free trial available. Removes spyware)

8. Spycop (free trial available. Detects and removes keyloggers, probably better than any other program.)

9. SpywareBlaster (free. Already mentioned above. Blocks spyware and prevents it from ever being loaded on your computer.)

10. Bazooka (free spyware scanner. Will notify you of spyware on your system, but will not automatically remove it. You must do it manually, but is still helpful to notify you of spyware.)

11. Mozilla Firefox (free browser to replace IE. Firefox doesn't use active-x like IE which is one of the main reasons you get spyware in the first place.)

I use all of the above on my computer and more without any comflicts. Hope this list of apps helps you out.

#9 Muriel

Muriel

scholar of crapware's demise

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:50 PM

That's an awful lot, Lonewolf. Here's my personal choices, all dependable and free.

Having both SpyBot S&D v1.3 and Adaware should be sufficient for cleaning Malware, though CWshredder is great for CWS infections, too.

Spywareblaster and IESpyAd are both useful for protecting your browser, particularly if you insist on using IE, though an alternative browser, such as Opera, FireFox, or Mozilla would be better, as they are basically immune to nearly every hijacker out there.

AVG is a great Antivirus program, though only one program of this type should be run at any one time, the same for a firewall, of which ZoneAlarm has a free trial, which you can always choose to upgrade if you like it (not sure of the fee though)

These should really be enough. More and you're asking for trouble from false alerts and the like, though new things are always being created as fast as the programs are updated.

Avoid using these, They are fraudulent programs & sometimes malicious!!:
AdProtector
AdWare Remover Gold
BPS Spyware Remover
InternetAntiSpy
NoAdware
Online PC-Fix SpyFerret
Pal Spyware Remover
SpyAssault
SpyBan
SpyBlast
Spy Deleter
SpyFerret
SpyGone
SpyHunter
SpyKiller
SpyKiller Pro
SpywareNuker
Spy Wiper
TZ Spyware-Adware Remover
Virtual Bouncer
Xoftspy

#10 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

Hi Muriel

My list is probably a bit excessive for most. But i do all i can in the battle against malware. Anyway i doubt anyone would go out and download everything i've listed (not that it's a bad idea). I'm just trying to give them some options.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points. First Ad-Aware and Spybot are great programs, but they just aren't very good at detecting trojans and keyloggers.

Your list of programs is good for a beginner, but anyone concerned about more advanced forms of malware (like trojans and keyloggers) is out of luck. In todays world of increasing threats due to newer forms of malware, one should do all they can to protect themselves, and at least one anti-trojan is essential in my view.

Also an anti-keylogger (like Spycop) is a great addition to anyone's list that is concerned with privacy.

Most anti-virus programs (like AVG) are ok at detecting trojans, but to be fully protected i would strongly recommend an anti-trojan such as Ewido or A Squared (at least) if not a top of the line program like TDS-3 or TrojanHunter. And try using AVG to detect a keylogger, forget it.

But each to their own. If you would prefer a minimalist approach to detecting malware that's ok too. Perhaps you'll never run into any of the real nasty stuff. But i would much rather be over protected than under protected if i should ever have to deal with any of these very real threats.

#11 ramzez22

ramzez22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:41 PM

Do you guys think system restore would work to solve my about:blank problem?Nothing else is working!!!

#12 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:04 PM

Hi Ramzez22

Did you try posting a hijackthis log in the proper forums? After running updated versions of Spybot and Ad-Aware, of course.

#13 Muriel

Muriel

scholar of crapware's demise

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:19 PM

Agreed, System Restore does not have to be the answer!!

The Proper Forum would be the one for Malware Removal here

I understand your opinion, LoneWolf. I thought the only interest here was in Free Software, so that's all I pointed out.;)
As for TrojanScans, Sygate is a good online scanner, and Trojanhunter's Trial will clean up what it finds, as well.

The safest thing is to switch to a different Browser other than IE, and then just be careful about what you open and download. I'm glad you don't have any problems running all of that.

If you'd like to help more, LoneWolf, Please see The various helper groups here. Do join the team if you want to post help, we'd like to have you with us. :)

#14 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:18 PM

Unfortunately the free trial of spycop is useless, since it randomly skips while scanning files.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#15 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the offer Muriel, but i just don't have the time to join up full time right now. The best i can do at this time, is occasionally post when a see a question, i think i may be able to help with. I'm sure there are many other people around here who are far better at computer security than i. Also just to let you (and everyone else) know all the software i listed is either totally free or has a free trial period.

Hi Paranoid

I would just like to add that i think the free trial of Spycop is still worth getting. Even though it skips some random files. It seems to find every keylogger i've ever tried to find with it (in my tests). So i would have to say it seems to have some value. But it is completely possible for it to miss a keylogger on your system. So it would just be for a general check. If your real serious about detecting keyloggers you would obviously need the pay version.

And here's another free online trojan scanner that may prove useful. http://www.trojanscan.com

Edited by lonewolf, 26 June 2004 - 02:04 AM.

#16 NortyFiner

NortyFiner

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:45 PM

I personally still use MSIE. But I have secured it pretty well. Besides always being up to date and behind a router, I use the following...

Ad-Aware Plus (I thought it was good enough to pay for)
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
AVG Anti-Virus
Yahoo! Toolbar (popup blocker)

I have HijackThis and CoolWebShredder as well, just in case...
Admin of the Official San Francisco 49ers Forum
Visit us at http://49ers.hosttown.com

#17 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:30 AM

Hi Wolf.

I'm aware of all the software and sites you list, and I hit all the same forums and websites you do, and I suspect I've being in this game longer than you.

It's funny that like you I was also asked via private mail by a moderator iif I would consider joining as a helper too. But like you I declined.

For good reason, because neither you or I are qualified in this area (removing spyware) right? Discussing the pros and cons (superficially) of software is one thing, being familar and recognising all the specific dirty tricks of hijacks is another.

I could probably figure out how to get rid of spyware that resisted automated removal (I just did that for my workmate's comp last week), but it would take some effort. Like you I bet our systems are so protected that we never even see a real example of a hijack in years if ever.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#18 Jamesharrison_

Jamesharrison_

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:03 PM

AdAware and Spybot hands down for scanners, the new Spybot has alot of extra features as well and it is only improving as time goes on.

Other products i use to compliment these include, CWS Shredder, HijackThis, SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster, firewall and Antivirus I use Symantec's Norton products. As my primary browser I use updated Firefox, when installing all your plugins etc you can really customize it to become a tank, clearly the superior browser imo. For utilities I use Norton again as well as good old RegCleaner 4.3. Evidemce Eliminator and MRU blaster to clean up.

#19 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:24 PM

You are very perceptive Paranoid, and seem extremely intelligent as well. I have little doubt you are more knowledgeable in computer security than myself.

And yes you are correct, i am not qualified to remove spyware. I may attempt to learn more of this art at some point, now is just not the best time. But like yourself, i do enjoy helping out, when and if i can.

Actually, i seem to feel my system is still rather unprotected, but i am still learning. Though, you are correct (again) i have yet to be hijacked, and hopefully never will be. I am still in search of what i feel is the ideal security defenses. Right now i'm looking into rootkits, and how to defend against them. That's my next conquest.

In my opinion we are all very lucky to have such a brilliant mind, as yourself, on our side. And i look foward to reading any of your future posts. I just hope people appreciate the contribution you have made, because i do. So thanks for all your great posts Paranoid.

#20 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:16 AM

Lone

I believe even the amount of software you are using plus the knowhow that you surely what have picked up , you are more than secure against the run of the mill spyware, and worms that cause mass media panic as well as the typical script kiddie that randomly port scans for unpatched systems.

Of course, you are looking for a level of security beyond that (the ideal, which technically doesn't exist), to withstand the scrunity of a real hacker, and that is a task much much harder , almost impossible according to what my more knowledgable sources tell me on a windows box.

That is the next level, a much harder level and for that you won't find the answers in such friendly, popular sites like this one and say Wilders.

#21 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:30 AM

Paranoid

I found some good sites that deal with more advanced forms of malware. I wouldn't dare post the sites here. Some of them allow you to download malware, in zip files, without even becoming a member of the forum or signing-in in any way! You can download this garbage totally anonymously! Wow! There are some really dangerous sites out there. But a couple of them have really good forums that allow you to get questions answered that no one would probably touch around here or at Wilders, Dslreports ect... It really amazes me what is available on the net. With all this crap going on, i'm surprised there aren't a lot more problems going around for all of us.

#22 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:32 AM

Indeed. Very dangerous. Do be careful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button