Question About Avast

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:22 AM

Well, I decided to ditch Norton's AV, and try a different program. I went with a free program (I like to try programs out before I buy). I downloaded and installed Avast. So far, so good. It seems like a pretty decent program. The only drawback is that the scans take forever, even the "quick" one (took 2 hours on mine)
Is it just me or are certain files/areas being scanned more than once duriing a full computer scan? I was watching the files as they were being scanned the first time I used it and I noticed all my program files were scanned not once but twice.
Also, about 20 files came up that couldn't be scanned for whatever reason...mainly some of them being zip files (most of them were .MF files). Is there anyway to get Avast to scan those...maybe a setting I can change? Or am I out of luck on that one?
Thanks for any help in advance :)

#2 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

Those files or archives that can't be scanned are system or password protected. It's normal for an antivirus programme to not be able to reach those (the same happens with AVG). This doesn't mean the antivirus isn't doing its job. The difference is that with Avast and AVG we are notified about that, while other virus scanners may skip this step altogether. :)

Avast takes about 6 or 7 minutes maximum to scan my Windows 98 machine. AVG takes almost as much to scan my XP computer, which contains almost twice the material I've loaded on the other one. I never noticed Avast scanning the same files twice, though... :scratchhead: This is strange... Maybe there are copies of entire folders/directories in more than one locations on your HD?

R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#3 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:22 PM

Those files or archives that can't be scanned are system or password protected. It's normal for an antivirus programme to not be able to reach those (the same happens with AVG). This doesn't mean the antivirus isn't doing its job. The difference is that with Avast and AVG we are notified about that, while other virus scanners may skip this step altogether. :)

Avast takes about 6 or 7 minutes maximum to scan my Windows 98 machine. AVG takes almost as much to scan my XP computer, which contains almost twice the material I've loaded on the other one. I never noticed Avast scanning the same files twice, though... :scratchhead: This is strange... Maybe there are copies of entire folders/directories in more than one locations on your HD?

hmm, I dunno :( My "thorough" scan took 5 hours :( And I know I saw things being scanned that had been scanned already :( My "quick" scan was 2 hours...I guess in comparison to the thorough that *is* quick lol
How would I find out if there are copies of files/directories in other locations?

#4 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:49 AM

Five hours! :eek: That's decidedly too long. :huh:

You can see if there are any duplicate files on your system by taking note of them while Avast runs and then running a search for them on your HD. Although I wouldn't really know what this means or how to fix it. Never seen anything like that before. :scratchhead:

Here are the FAQs for Avast 4 on the Alwil site, and here is the Avast forum. You may be able to find an answer there...

Best,

Edited by rosso_acido, 24 June 2004 - 01:50 AM.

I am the iron anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button