Software - Free??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billmlod

billmlod

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:12 AM

This is just a peeve of mine, I download software which says free trial. Take the time to install it, run it the first time - takes about 10-15 minutes to scan my system, then, when I try & continue the removal part it says you need to purchase the software to actually do anything about what we have found.
2 most recent programs I have had this happen with - spyhunter & spyblock. Don't bother to download the trial if you aren't prepared to purchase.

Just needed to vent,

BillMlod

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:13 PM

Annoying is Not the word for these things!
On a more hopeful note, both AdAware, and spybot, are free, and fully functional downloads!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 Muriel

Muriel

scholar of crapware's demise

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:26 PM

Agreed, stick to Spybot S&D and Adaware and stay away from any of these:

AdProtector
AdWare Remover Gold
BPS Spyware Remover
InternetAntiSpy
NoAdware
Online PC-Fix SpyFerret
Pal Spyware Remover
SpyAssault
SpyBan
SpyBlast
Spy Deleter
SpyFerret
SpyGone
SpyHunter
SpyKiller
SpyKiller Pro
SpywareNuker
Spy Wiper
TZ Spyware-Adware Remover
Virtual Bouncer

Many of the "Free" trial versions give you false alerts just to get you to buy the software, which does nothing or could even be something malicious itself, and who wants to pay good money for damaging software. :hmmm:

#4 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:19 PM

PestPatrol is also one of them. The trial version detects malware, but doesn't remove it unless you buy PestPatrol.
Isn't that normal for commercial anti-malware softwares ?
Of course there are other ways to avoid buying software, but I don't think this forum is the right place to discuss these (illegal) methods.
If money is a problem use the freewares. They do the same job as commercial ones. Security is an illusion and nothing or nobody is 100% safe. You only can minimize the risks, that's all.
Ask JFK's opinion about security, when you meet him in heaven.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 19 July 2004 - 07:28 PM.

ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#5 Jumper

Jumper

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:18 PM

I started by using other spywear detection software, just like you stated, I could do a scan then just look at a report. I would attempt to delete problems, but then I found out about Spybot S&D.
Just the other day, my mother told me that she was using Pest Patrol, and it was showing that she had CWS.Google.MS.3, but turns out its a bug in the soft that registers a CWS occasionally that is not there.

#6 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:09 PM

Jumper

The CWS.GoogleMS.3 is a Pest Patrol false positive, caused by SpywareBlaster. This FP in Pest Patrol was fixed in a recent update. I would recommend you tell your mother to update her version of Pest Patrol to fix the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button