• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zoey

Worm in Spyware Blaster Update

12 posts in this topic

:huh: When I downloaded the latest Spyware Blaster update McAfee Virus Protection jumped in and informed me that the update file contained a worm. I should have written the name down, but didn't. McAfee cleaned the file, but I am debating about dumping Spyware Blaster. I HAVE read the FAQs. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. The same thing happened to my husband's computer. zoey

I seriously doubt if Javacool, the creator of SpywareBlaster would ever put a worm in one of his programs. Perhaps you got the worm some other way. Javacool is a highly respected programmer, and i can't imagine him ever doing anything like that. I recently downloaded the new updates for SpywareBlaster and my anti-virus didn't detect anything. Here's a link that may be helpful. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37959

Thanks lonewolf. It could have been a McAfee glitch. There have been a few of them. McAfee listed the Spywareblaster file as the infected one, so maybe it was just a false positive. It made me a little nervous though! zoey :huh:

"--Update 06/24/2004

An incorrect identification of some modified ASPacked files as W32/Gaobot.worm.gen.e has been identified in the 4368 DAT files.

The 4369 DAT files are being released to resolve this incorrect identification.

The following files have been submitted to AVERT

Dcpp.exe, from securstar.com

Server.exe - access-remote-pc.com

SlingoDeluxe.exe - Shockwave.com

Armadillo.exe - The Silicon Realms Toolworks

GE2001.exe - Xinox Software

MagicInlay.exe, from shockwave.com

SBautoupdate.exe, from javacoolsoftware.com

HotfixManager.exe, from majorgeeks.com

Timesheets.exe, from timesheetsmts.com"

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_101447.htm

Glad i could help. There is a forum just for SpywareBlaster over to Wilders Security, if you ever have any future problems. You can ask Javacool questions about any of his fantastic software for free.

:huh: I just tried to download Spyware Blaster 4 times. Each time I got to where I clicked finished there would be an error message saying there was a bad sector on the hard disk or a virus in the program.

Things like this are why I think Norton and McAfee are the worst AV's on the market. They register false positives, are frequently targeted and disabled by malware, take up too much memory, and can muck up your computer. I use AVG and Spyware Blaster, and haven't had these problems with the recent updates.

AVG is the best you're going to get. Try that.

McAfee has a history of false positives, and it isn't nearly as good as AVG or ClamAV.

Every AV program will have their share of flase positives...the only thing that metter is how quickly they identify and fix the issue.

This is not the first time ive heard of McAfee detecting false items, i wouldnt dump SpywareBlaster though, as I have scanned my PC with both Norton Antivirus and Housecall's free online virus scan and nothing showed up, not to mention auto protect would have notified me if it was suspicious. As Lonewolf said i doubt Javacool would allow this.

NortyFiner, I dont know how you can say Norton is one of the worst AV's on the market, I have been using their product (Systemworks and Internet Security 2003 registered) for years without any problems or false detections.

Zoey, If you are looking for alternate products I can recomment Norton products without hesitation, if you do not feel like paying I can also recommend AVG, it is also a great product and is free, usually install AVG on my friends PC's.

Jamesharrison: Maybe I just had bad luck. I had the Norton Systemworks suite a few years ago, and I personally found it to be a resource sucker. And because of how it integrated into so many functions of my computer, I wound up having to reinstall Windows after removing Norton, because it crapped up so much stuff with the removal. I'm much happier now with AVG.