Worm in Spyware Blaster Update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zoey

zoey

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:51 PM

:huh: When I downloaded the latest Spyware Blaster update McAfee Virus Protection jumped in and informed me that the update file contained a worm. I should have written the name down, but didn't. McAfee cleaned the file, but I am debating about dumping Spyware Blaster. I HAVE read the FAQs. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. The same thing happened to my husband's computer. zoey

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:39 PM

I seriously doubt if Javacool, the creator of SpywareBlaster would ever put a worm in one of his programs. Perhaps you got the worm some other way. Javacool is a highly respected programmer, and i can't imagine him ever doing anything like that. I recently downloaded the new updates for SpywareBlaster and my anti-virus didn't detect anything. Here's a link that may be helpful. http://www.wildersse...ead.php?t=37959

#3 zoey

zoey

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

Thanks lonewolf. It could have been a McAfee glitch. There have been a few of them. McAfee listed the Spywareblaster file as the infected one, so maybe it was just a false positive. It made me a little nervous though! zoey :huh:

#4 B@ckdoor

B@ckdoor

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:42 PM

"--Update 06/24/2004
An incorrect identification of some modified ASPacked files as W32/Gaobot.worm.gen.e has been identified in the 4368 DAT files.
The 4369 DAT files are being released to resolve this incorrect identification.

The following files have been submitted to AVERT

Dcpp.exe, from securstar.com
Server.exe - access-remote-pc.com
SlingoDeluxe.exe - Shockwave.com
Armadillo.exe - The Silicon Realms Toolworks
GE2001.exe - Xinox Software
MagicInlay.exe, from shockwave.com
SBautoupdate.exe, from javacoolsoftware.com
HotfixManager.exe, from majorgeeks.com
Timesheets.exe, from timesheetsmts.com"

http://vil.nai.com/v...nt/v_101447.htm

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

Glad i could help. There is a forum just for SpywareBlaster over to Wilders Security, if you ever have any future problems. You can ask Javacool questions about any of his fantastic software for free.

#6 Paparentman

Paparentman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:27 PM

:huh: I just tried to download Spyware Blaster 4 times. Each time I got to where I clicked finished there would be an error message saying there was a bad sector on the hard disk or a virus in the program.

#7 NortyFiner

NortyFiner

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:34 PM

Things like this are why I think Norton and McAfee are the worst AV's on the market. They register false positives, are frequently targeted and disabled by malware, take up too much memory, and can muck up your computer. I use AVG and Spyware Blaster, and haven't had these problems with the recent updates.
Admin of the Official San Francisco 49ers Forum
Visit us at http://49ers.hosttown.com

#8 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:23 AM

AVG is the best you're going to get. Try that.

McAfee has a history of false positives, and it isn't nearly as good as AVG or ClamAV.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#9 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:53 AM

Every AV program will have their share of flase positives...the only thing that metter is how quickly they identify and fix the issue.

#10 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:34 AM

I personnally find Clamav quite useless
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#11 Jamesharrison_

Jamesharrison_

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:54 PM

This is not the first time ive heard of McAfee detecting false items, i wouldnt dump SpywareBlaster though, as I have scanned my PC with both Norton Antivirus and Housecall's free online virus scan and nothing showed up, not to mention auto protect would have notified me if it was suspicious. As Lonewolf said i doubt Javacool would allow this.

NortyFiner, I dont know how you can say Norton is one of the worst AV's on the market, I have been using their product (Systemworks and Internet Security 2003 registered) for years without any problems or false detections.

Zoey, If you are looking for alternate products I can recomment Norton products without hesitation, if you do not feel like paying I can also recommend AVG, it is also a great product and is free, usually install AVG on my friends PC's.

#12 NortyFiner

NortyFiner

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:32 PM

Jamesharrison: Maybe I just had bad luck. I had the Norton Systemworks suite a few years ago, and I personally found it to be a resource sucker. And because of how it integrated into so many functions of my computer, I wound up having to reinstall Windows after removing Norton, because it crapped up so much stuff with the removal. I'm much happier now with AVG.
Admin of the Official San Francisco 49ers Forum
Visit us at http://49ers.hosttown.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button