HTwizzy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hello,
I have recently received a runtime error that states:
"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"
it refers to "explorer.exe"
i am running XP professional. It was loaded onto my computer by a friend at work and i do not have the original disk. A couple of months ago i started to get bombarded by pop-ups and i sought out a way to resolve the problem. I had a previous version of Giant software, but since they require authentification to upgrade, i had to find an alternative. I ended up getting:
Ad-aware SE ("plus" i believe)
Lavasoft personal firewall
Super Ad Blocker (red circle with white cross icon)
and i also had an older version of ewido.

This seemed to work until a few days ago. I started to get pop-ups again for random websites as well as faux-computer cleaner software. (i say faux because any research on the application yielded horror stories, plus i didn't request these downloads to begin with). I tried to do a system scan with ad-aware and with super ad blocker, but it was to no avail...still got pop-ups. I ended up downloading spybot search and destroy. I ran a scan, removed the "bad stuff" and also immunized the system.
Well after all of this, i boot up the computer and viola..."Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library " error window pops up. I click ok, my icons disappear, re-appear as does the error window. After a few clicks i realize that it's not going away so today i tried to "google" the error message for assistance and eventually ended up here.

i tried a few solutions that i read. Basically removing the "Gtoolbar" from the "real" folder in program files and also recovering all that was done initially with spybot and then uninstalling it....no dice. I still get the error message although NOW i can use the internet as long as i don't click "OK" in the error window. It has gotten to the point where clicking "ok" makes the desktop icons and the lower tool bar and start menu disappear...for good. This happens for both user accounts on the computer. (on is mine, the other for the kids)

up to now i have downloaded Highjack this and saved the log of the scan. I also downloaded the new ewido/avg software and tried to run it in safe mode, but the computer froze up. When i managed to get it into safemode, two accounts came up "Administrator" and the "other" one. I selected Administrator and the screen went black aside from the "safe mode" text in the corners. No icons, no start menu. Nothing. This, unfortunately, is farther than i got with the "other" account. I selected the icon for the other account and attempted to enter the password. The field for the password appeared, but it wouldn't show that i was typing it in. I was unable to log into the "other" account while in safemode so i can't get a copy of the scan log from the AVG to post. Please advise as to how i shoiuld proceed in order to get your assistance. Thank
you.

*EDIT* This is my Scan from Hijack This:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:37:34 PM, on 4/20/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SABSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSEC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Personal Firewall\lpfw.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
C:\Program Files\xloadnet\xloadnet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\updater.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\LAVASOFT\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SAdBlock.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = ,
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.meloco.com/index.php?i=sm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.ne2.attbb.net
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,oufnkes.exe
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Super Ad Blocker Toolbar - {B4B3001E-0F56-4E51-8250-BDE11547EC55} - C:\Program Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\sabtb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp3\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PowerMenu] "%systemroot%\system32\powermenu.exe" -hideself on
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Personal Firewall] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Personal Firewall\lpfw.exe /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xloadnet] "C:\Program Files\xloadnet\xloadnet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [runner1] C:\WINDOWS\updater.exe 61A847B5BBF72810329B385473F001F0B3E35B6638993F4661AA4EBD86D67C56389B284534F310
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [System Soap Pro] C:\PROGRA~1\SYSTEM~1\soap.exe min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iesxb] C:\WINDOWS\System32\mqhfay.exe reg_run
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\PROGRA~1\LAVASOFT\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_9
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SuperAdBlocker] C:\Program Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SAdBlock.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {4ABF810A-F11D-4169-9D5F-7D274F2270A1} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Java - {4ABF810A-F11D-4169-9D5F-7D274F2270A1} - (no file)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sxload.net (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {8A0DCBDB-6E20-489C-9041-C1E8A0352E75} - http://awbeta.net-nu.../FIX/WinATS.cab
O16 - DPF: {B64F4A7C-97C9-11DA-8BDE-F66BAD1E3F3A} - http://download.cdn....FreeInstall.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\PERSON~1\wl_hook.dll
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSEC.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Personal Firewall Service (LavasoftFirewall) - Agnitum Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Personal Firewall\lpfw.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: Super Ad Blocker Service (SABSVC) - SuperAdBlocker.com - C:\Program Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SABSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

Edited by HTwizzy, 21 April 2007 - 08:07 AM.

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,520 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:03 AM

Hello,

It is important you don't miss a step and perform everything in the right order!!

I see you are running AdWatch.
I suggest you disable it because it can interfere with the fixes.

To disable AdWatch:

Open AdAware SE.
Go to AdWatch User Interface.
Go to Tools and Preferences.
At the bottom of the screen you will see 2 options Active and Automatic.
Active: This will turn Ad-Watch On\Off without closing it
Automatic: Suspicious activity will be blocked automatically
Uncheck both options. You can enable these after resolving your problem

I see you have Viewpoint installed...
Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This will change from what we know in 2006 read this article: http://www.clickz.co...cle.php/3561546
I suggest you remove the program now. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs if present.
  • Viewpoint
  • Viewpoint Manager
  • Viewpoint Media Player
Also uninstall the outdated ewido version.

Reboot after uninstalling!
After reboot,

* Start HijackThis, close all open windows leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following if still present (some entries won't be present anymore):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = ,
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.meloco.com/index.php?i=sm
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,oufnkes.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PowerMenu] "%systemroot%\system32\powermenu.exe" -hideself on
<== check this if you don't have PowerMenu installed anymore
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xloadnet] "C:\Program Files\xloadnet\xloadnet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [runner1] C:\WINDOWS\updater.exe 61A847B5BBF72810329B385473F001F0B3E35B6638993F4661AA4EBD86D67C56389B284534F310
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [System Soap Pro] C:\PROGRA~1\SYSTEM~1\soap.exe min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iesxb] C:\WINDOWS\System32\mqhfay.exe reg_run
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {4ABF810A-F11D-4169-9D5F-7D274F2270A1} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Java - {4ABF810A-F11D-4169-9D5F-7D274F2270A1} - (no file)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sxload.net (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {8A0DCBDB-6E20-489C-9041-C1E8A0352E75} - http://awbeta.net-nu.../FIX/WinATS.cab
O16 - DPF: {B64F4A7C-97C9-11DA-8BDE-F66BAD1E3F3A} - http://download.cdn....FreeInstall.cab

* Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.
Make sure your Internet Explorer is closed when you click Fix Checked!
Don't worry if some entries won't go away, we'll deal with that later...

---------------------

Please download, install, and update AVG Anti-Spyware
  • Load AVG Anti-Spyware and then click the Update tab at the top. Under Manual Update click Start update.
  • After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")
  • Then click on the Scanner tab at the top. Click the "Settings" tab and then change the recommended action to Quarantine and click Automatically generate report after every scan. Click back to the "Scan" tab and then click on Complete System Scan. This scan can take quite a while to run, so be prepared.
  • AVG Anti-Spyware will list any infections found on the left hand side. When the scan has finished, it will automatically set the recommended action. Click the Apply all actions button. AVG Anti-Spyware will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.
  • Click on "Save Report", then "Save Report As". This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again (like on the Desktop).
  • Close AVG Anti-Spyware and reboot!!
    I need the log later.
-------------------------

* Download Combofix to your desktop.
Doubleclick combofix.exe
Follow the prompts.
Don't click on the window while the fix is running, because that will cause your system to hang.

When finished and after reboot (in case it asks to reboot), it should open a log, combofix.txt.
Post next logs in your following reply:
  • Log from combofix (combofix.txt)
  • Log from AVG Antispyware
  • New HijackThislog
You may need several replies to post the logs in case they won't fit in one reply.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow!---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please tell the moderating team by replying here
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow!---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button