100% CPU svchost.exe - Security Center

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Hello out there,
I am having a periodic issue that my computer uses 100% CPU at random times - recently, just after startup.
The process that is using all this CPU is svchost.exe (thanks to Windows Task Manager for diagnosis).
I opened the system services log and through a lot of trial and error found out that when I stop the Security Center service, the CPU usage drops to about 0 (its normal level) for that process.
The problem happens when the network cable is plugged in on startup. When I'm in a wireless environment it doesn't seem to be a problem. When I've been away from the desk for a while (this is a laptop), it tends to give me a break...like now, for instance.
When I start up, I have always gotten Security Center system tray alerts about how Symantec (Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10) is turned off...for a few seconds before that program loads up. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
Attached is a screenshot of startup CPU patterns. It is surprisingly reliable in this pattern (when the issue happens), with all the little peaks and valleys and shapes highly reproducible. The first peaks at 100 are also svchost.exe.
I'm running Windows XP SP2, with 1.6 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM. I admit the hard drive is getting quite full, and I am in the process of clearing several gigs to DVD, but even without removal the problem is temporarily at bay...I'm sure it will come up before too long.
Symantec, Spybot, and Lavasoft found nothing.
I'm highly computer-literate so you can use all the techie terms you want, but I'm stumped on this issue.
Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
Grace & peace,

Please read the FAQ so you will see what we need for someone to start to help you (HijackThis log).

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu.gif

Edited by TheJoker, 19 May 2007 - 08:53 AM.

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,522 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:31 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button