• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shoemark

shoemark

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi everyone,
My mum recently got a pc...it's running XP Home and she knows nothing about internet security...all i need to know is what would be the best and easiest firewall to use for a beginner such as my mum???

Thanks in advance Taylor

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

Hi everyone,
My mum recently got a pc...it's running XP Home and she knows nothing about internet security...all i need to know is what would be the best and easiest firewall to use for a beginner such as my mum???

Thanks in advance Taylor

Any of the free firewalls would probably work fine, just set them to work in the simple mode...

Kerio has an option to run in simple mode and ZoneAlarm can be set to operate without asking the user anything... I am not as familiar with Outpost and Comodo, but both are supposed to be quite good and I am sure they have some kind of simple option...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 shoemark

shoemark

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

thanx budfred for your reply.....and sorry for posting in the wrong forum...Again

i will probably install kerio on my mums pc then and see how it goes...

thakyou again for the feedback Taylor

#4 thehollow

thehollow

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

I have been using zone alarm for a few years the free version and have no complaints very user friendly and it gives you a fair bit of control

#5 b00t

b00t

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

I have recently installed Comodo on my mom's PC. She calls me evrytime it pops up with the Allow\Deny question lol =)

#6 Guest_Senbonzakura_*

Guest_Senbonzakura_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

This is a very old topic :thumbup:

I use Windows Vista Firewall

#7 e-tech

e-tech

The Decontaminator

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

I have recently installed Comodo on my mom's PC. She calls me evrytime it pops up with the Allow\Deny question lol =)

:lol: Well, then you probably get a lot of calls. Yes, Comodo is aggressive and it can take a couple of weeks before it has learned computer and applications well enough. It's important not to automatically say Yes to everything, but it can be a great challenge with all it's notifications that pops up all the time in the begining.

The other alternative is Online Armor. It's probably one of the best in my opinion.

Edited by e-tech, 10 February 2009 - 04:25 PM.

My fight is dedicated to the children with autism - please support and help these kids.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
- Confucius

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

My favorite is Kerio which has a simple mode for people who get easily confused... It doesn't really ask for permissions in that mode, it just protects based on the norms...

My rule of thumb is that I will refuse anything I don't recognize, but watch to see if it makes a difference with programs I use... If it doesn't seem to, I will permanently block it... If it turns out it is needed after all, I can go into Kerio and allow it again...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 Tragedy

Tragedy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

:lol: Well, then you probably get a lot of calls. Yes, Comodo is aggressive and it can take a couple of weeks before it has learned computer and applications well enough. It's important not to automatically say Yes to everything, but it can be a great challenge with all it's notifications that pops up all the time in the begining.

The other alternative is Online Armor. It's probably one of the best in my opinion.

So would it be alright to use Online Armor and Spybot w/Tea Timer simultaneously? Also if Avira was running would that be alright as well, or is that too many programs?

Edited by Tragedy, 02 May 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

It is safe and a good idea to run resident anti-spyware protection like TeaTimer, an antivirus like Avira and a firewall... You will run into difficulty if you run 2 of any of these in resident mode... One of each type is important to maintain security -- more than one of each type is not...
Budfred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button