Norton and XP Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CochinoFilipino

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

I've had my PC for a few years, upgraded to XP Pro, and have run Norton Antivirus (w/all the updates) since the beginning. I also run XP firewall.

We got a laptop for the wife last x-mas. She run's XP media center edition and Norton Antivirus 2006. But on her machine we only run Nortons firewall and not the XP firewall as the system forces us to choose one or the other, like they aren't compatible.

My question is; does this seem right? that an older but updated version of Norton is compatible with XP firewall while a newer version is not?

Note; Both our machines share the internet connection via a netgear router/firewall also.

#2 Juliet

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

Not sure if I read this correct or not but I'll attempt.....

First machine
Norton Antivirus and Windows XP Firewall

Second machine
Norton Antivirus 2006 and Nortons firewall ....but your not allowed to run XP firewall ?

Thats correct, you cannot run two Firewall programs at one time. Trying to run two Firewalls will cause system instabilty, use large amount of resources and, cause system clashes.

Your first machine was Norton Antivirus only so then it is allowed.
Second machine has a paid for Firewall so there is no need for the windows Firewall.

You should not rely on just the Windows XP firewall when there are firewalls that are free for personal use that are better, the Windows XP firewall only checks incoming data.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#3 CochinoFilipino

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

I was confusing myself. I was thinking of Norton on machine 1 as both Antivirus and firewall. But you're right. It's just antivirus.

I don't know why I stopped running zonelalarm. I am reloading it now.

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Edited by CochinoFilipino, 24 May 2007 - 07:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button