help: hardware or software problem ??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 seraphodiabolus

seraphodiabolus

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

my laptop has one HD, but was subdivided by the prior owner into C and D drives. original OS (winXP) was installed in C drive.
recently my laptop was heavily infected. in the process of cleansing the computer,
i made some stupid (unknown) mistakes, somehow the startup drive and OS on C now seems essentially nonfunctional (when i insist on using it, it will freeze at a safemode-like page, but before a cursor appears)

i then installed another winXP (older than the one on C) on D and now everytime when I turn on the machine, if i choose the OS on D to run, everything seems normal. i can still use files on C without problems. I transferred important and big files from C to D and wanted to reformat the C, since I thought I wouldn't need it to run the laptop. somehow, i can NOT !! i did not have any "commerical tool" to do the formating, so i tried using the format/erase (files/disks) function on "my computer" - it says since C is in use (even though i thought i booted it from D) it can't be formated. i also tried going to MSDOS, use the command "format c:". although it looked as if the computer took the command and did the formating, but after 20 min (when it showed 100% formatted), i exited DOS and used "my computer" to check, my C drive was still intact.
so two questions
1. is there a way that I reformat the C without jeopardizing my D operation?
2. how ? (or how to rescue my C as I can not start with C anymore)

any thought will be appreciated

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,523 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 seraphodiabolus

seraphodiabolus

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:48 PM

First off, I am computer-illiterate, so pardon me if I can't explain myself clearly.
The problem I have is as follows - which happened just today
Laptop (old IMB Thinkpad, NOT Levono) turned on, IBM icon showed up, BIOS running.
Then, half the time the WinXT desktop would show up; the other half, it didn't even show -
then followed by one of the two scenairos,
either the laptop just hung there OR the laptop would try to reboot itself - with the same ending - a dead laptop (display sometimes was BLACK, sometimes, BLACK with the usual mouse cursor )

does this sound more like a hardware problem or a software problem (i.e. infected) :wtf: :wtf:

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:34 AM

You just posted essentially the same message at PC Guide... Since we are all volunteers at both forums, asking for help in multiple forums for the same problem wastes the time of our volunteers if someone answers at both forums... Please pick a forum to get help and let the other (or others) know that you are already going to get help in whichever forum you choose...

If you choose this forum, you need to read the FAQ and post the information that we ask for...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 seraphodiabolus

seraphodiabolus

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

thanks - did not know all forums are inter-connected. i noticed that the number of visitors are not the same
so I chose multiple forums to get help fast. At SWI, there are requirements to put up specifics of the computer in the question, but i wouldn't really know all the specifics since i am quite computer illiterate, and espcially so when the computer is currently down (i am using a public computer now to gain access to this site). so if this means i CAN'T get help here without the specifics, i won't use it here.
i apologize for doing multiple postings, but i would suggest that if you see multiple postings of the same problem, you clearly DO NOT need to read and answer all of them, right.
but again, thanks for the reminder. i will pay attention next time.

You just posted essentially the same message at PC Guide... Since we are all volunteers at both forums, asking for help in multiple forums for the same problem wastes the time of our volunteers if someone answers at both forums... Please pick a forum to get help and let the other (or others) know that you are already going to get help in whichever forum you choose...

If you choose this forum, you need to read the FAQ and post the information that we ask for...

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

i apologize for doing multiple postings, but i would suggest that if you see multiple postings of the same problem, you clearly DO NOT need to read and answer all of them, right.
but again, thanks for the reminder. i will pay attention next time.

I was not suggesting that I would personally read and respond to each of them... However I am an Admin here and a Moderator at PC Guide, so I am responsible for monitoring each of the forums to address issues like this one... Our volunteers at SWI are particularly busy fighting malware issues and for everyone who gets help from multiple volunteers, there are people desperately waiting for help who wait longer or never receive it...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

You still seem to be pursuing this in both forum and have now added another couple of topics here that seem to be about the same basic issue... Please make a choice and stick to it...
Budfred

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

Since you maintain the thread at PC Guide open and keep adding more topics here, it is not clear what you want to do and your PM did not clarify further... I just merged 2 topics about the same problem and deleted a duplicate... This is wasting a lot of my time and my patience is limited... Please give me a clear answer and stop posting new topics about the same problem... Answer here, not by PM...
Budfred

#9 seraphodiabolus

seraphodiabolus

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

Since you maintain the thread at PC Guide open and keep adding more topics here, it is not clear what you want to do and your PM did not clarify further... I just merged 2 topics about the same problem and deleted a duplicate... This is wasting a lot of my time and my patience is limited... Please give me a clear answer and stop posting new topics about the same problem... Answer here, not by PM...

Thank you for your patience, and given that you guys are the expert, I respect your request. But I just wonder
(a) couldn't it be that my problems are both software and hardware? If that is the case, can't I post the malware-related topics here and keep the hardware-related in the other forum?
(b) if I know what the problem is, of course I would post it in the right forum, and if I KNOW they are all the same problem, of course I would not do what I did. The point is I DO NOT know.
© honestly, if I just want to swamp the forum and waste every volunteer's time, I could choose mulitple users and post all questions here and there. maybe you guys CAN figure out all those mulitple users are from one person and block me altogether, but maybe NOT. as I said, I have very little knowledge in CS, so most mistakes are made accidentally.

and the answer to your question is, I WILL use SWI for my questions for now. Feel free to delete all of my posts in PCguide.

ps. I do not know how to "close" the thread in PC guide.
pps. it took me a while to know what PM means.

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:16 AM

Thank you for your patience, and given that you guys are the expert, I respect your request. But I just wonder
(a) couldn't it be that my problems are both software and hardware? If that is the case, can't I post the malware-related topics here and keep the hardware-related in the other forum?
(b) if I know what the problem is, of course I would post it in the right forum, and if I KNOW they are all the same problem, of course I would not do what I did. The point is I DO NOT know.
honestly, if I just want to swamp the forum and waste every volunteer's time, I could choose mulitple users and post all questions here and there. maybe you guys CAN figure out all those mulitple users are from one person and block me altogether, but maybe NOT. as I said, I have very little knowledge in CS, so most mistakes are made accidentally.

and the answer to your question is, I WILL use SWI for my questions for now. Feel free to delete all of my posts in PCguide.

ps. I do not know how to "close" the thread in PC guide.
pps. it took me a while to know what PM means.

If your intentions were malicious, you could play all sorts of games until we figured out what you were doing and banned most of the identities that you would use to harass us... Believe, it has happened... The point is that I have assumed that you are not malicious, but simply desperate to get an answer, like so many other people that come to us for help...

As for your problem being both hardware and software related... It is unlikely that it is both, but it is important to consider both alternatives as the process proceeds... You will find that whoever helps you in either forum will generally do just that... PC Guide helps people with software issues probably at least as much as it does hardware... SWI focuses on software, but most of our helpers at least recognize when it is a hardware issue and can refer you to someone who can help even if that helper doesn't know what to do...

You can simply post in your thread at PC Guide to say that you are focusing on getting help here...

I don't know what "CS" means...
Budfred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button