Problems with computer crashing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 djc

djc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Hi. I've been having some problems with my computer crashing. I'm not sure what's causing it, so I thought I'd try posting here. I haven't really figured out the particular pattern to when it crashes, or even how exactly it crashes. One pattern I've noticed, though, is that it only seems to happen when I'm connected to the Internet.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, 1.6 GHz Core Duo, with 1 GB of RAM. It's about a year old. The hard drive says it has a capacity of 50.8 GB, and about 4 GB of that are free. As for the programs I'm running... For antivirus/firewall/etc., I have ZoneAlarm, Avast Antivirus, and AVG Antivirus (all the free versions). My biggest concern is when they update. In particular, it seems like my computer works much slower while Avast is updating. On top of those three programs, there's still that Windows AutoUpdate feature. I have a feeling that my computer might be crashing because several (or maybe even all) of these programs are clamoring to update at the same time. I think this is a good possibility because, like I said before, the computer tends to only crash while I'm connected to the Internet; and these programs can only update when they can connect to the Internet.

Basically, what I want to ask is, does it seem likely that these programs are making my computer crash? If so, am I simply running too many of these antivirus/firewall programs? Should I uninstall one (or more) of them? Or, if not, is there some way to manage the way that they update, so that they're only updating one at a time?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I thought I would point out something else that I have noticed that might help. Sometimes, in an attempt to fix this problem, I go into the Task Manager (with Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and close explorer.exe, and then do File --> New Task (Run...) --> "explorer.exe." (I read about this trick somewhere online.) Sometimes it works, and everything is fine. But sometimes, after trying to re-open explorer.exe, my taskbar and desktop icons don't return, even though explorer.exe does show back up in my list of processes. If this happens, I restart my computer. While shutting down, it says something to the effect of "explorer.exe is not responding," and gives me the option to close it. Is there some significance to this?

Edited by djc, 31 May 2007 - 06:51 PM.

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,523 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,091 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

Hi.

The hard drive says it has a capacity of 50.8 GB, and about 4 GB of that are free

You have less the recommended mininum space available. It's should not be less then 10% of your hard disk.
See what you can do to delete or store some files on a CD.

I need to see a fresh HijackThis log.
Please read this article and follow the protocol.
http://www.spywarein...showtopic=23382
It's the only way we can give you sound advice on what may be the problem.

nasdaq

Favorite tools: [ SpywareBlaster ] [ Spybot ] [ AdAware ] [ HijackThis ]
[ Housecall online virus scan ] [ Bitdefender online virus scan ]
[ AVG antivirus ] [ Sunbelt Personal Firewall ] [ ZoneAlarm firewall ]

My help is free, but if we have helped you in anyway,please considerDonating ,
see this topic for details.
We need members like you.

========
Shouldn't water be worth more than diamonds?
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

#4 djc

djc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

Well, I went ahead and saved some stuff to CDs. I have over 6 GB of free space now, and I plan to back up more stuff later on.

I went ahead and made the HijackThis log. Here it is.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:04:38 PM, on 6/3/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVGANT~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVGANT~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVASTA~1\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVGANT~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\AVASTA~1\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\AVGANT~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using Download &Express - C:\Program Files\Download Express\Add_Url.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo! Messenger\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo! Messenger\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E8D0700-75DF-11D3-8B4A-0008C7450C4A} (DjVuCtl Class) - http://www.lizardtec...ntrol_en_US.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnote...ad/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitd...can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebo...otoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.5) - http://housecall65.t...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {8BC53B30-32E4-4ED3-BEF9-DB761DB77453} (CInstallLPCtrl Object) - http://u3.sandisk.co...LPInstaller.CAB
O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius....tiveXPlugin.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVGANT~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVGANT~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

Thank you for the help.

#5 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,091 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:26 PM

The only thing I can recommend is that your update your Java.

Updating Java
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    - Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
    • Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
    • J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
    • J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions. <- important.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.

p.s. I downloaded a program yesterday and I was informed that I need 17MB free space.
This space is need while the program is being installed. Most will be released when the installation is required.
Just thought I mentioned it.

nasdaq

========
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

#6 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,091 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
nasdaq

========
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button