Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:51 PM
Here's what I did:
1. Went into "Safe Mode". (Click START, then RUN, type MSCONFIG, Click BOOT.INI, thrn select SAFEMODE). Reverse steps to get out of SM.
2. I ran Ad-AWARE, the latest version (R323) in custom setting.
3. I ran HijackThis and removed suspicious files. I browsed the posts and printed several out to get an idea of the type to be deleted. Generally res://iaolp.dll files, #96696 (in my case) files, and suspicious .exe files.
4. I searched for Windows and System32 files, sorted by date (click one of the links at top, then hit DETAILS). I got rid of all files prior to 6/18/04, when all this mess started, as well as some other suspicious looking files for good measure. They're all going into the Recycling Bin and can be retrieved. As soon as I see everything is running smooth, I'm emptying that sucker.
5.Next I ran Spybot, but all was clean.
6. I also ran Buster, but got a "Run Time 70" error, so whether it helped I don't know if it helped.
7. I left SafeMode and restarted not expecting anything different this time. But lo and behold, my system was clean...for now.
I suggest the moderators of this site allow us grateful users to contribute via Paypal. There is no reason they should spend so much of their free time helping others without some form of compensation...strictly voluntary of course. Does anybody who has benefitted from this site agree??
Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:11 AM
Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:29 AM
Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:56 PM
Make sure you do this after running AdAware and Hijack This (all in safe mode). This did it for me. View other posts, especially those with problems/HJT logs similar to yours to get an idea of files to be deleted. It may take trial and error.
Best of luck.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users