Jump to content


Photo

Success......


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deathtohackers

deathtohackers

    Member

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:51 PM

...with time, patience, but mostly reading the tips on this board. The hijack took over my home page with the infernal "Home Search", slowed down my system, added full screen "home search" pop-ups ad nauseum, and did not allow me to connect to KazaaLite. All was fixed except the Kazaa, as I probably deleted something it needed to run (that's OK, I downloaded another free version after much searching).

Here's what I did:
1. Went into "Safe Mode". (Click START, then RUN, type MSCONFIG, Click BOOT.INI, thrn select SAFEMODE). Reverse steps to get out of SM.
2. I ran Ad-AWARE, the latest version (R323) in custom setting.
3. I ran HijackThis and removed suspicious files. I browsed the posts and printed several out to get an idea of the type to be deleted. Generally res://iaolp.dll files, #96696 (in my case) files, and suspicious .exe files.
4. I searched for Windows and System32 files, sorted by date (click one of the links at top, then hit DETAILS). I got rid of all files prior to 6/18/04, when all this mess started, as well as some other suspicious looking files for good measure. They're all going into the Recycling Bin and can be retrieved. As soon as I see everything is running smooth, I'm emptying that sucker.
5.Next I ran Spybot, but all was clean.
6. I also ran Buster, but got a "Run Time 70" error, so whether it helped I don't know if it helped.
7. I left SafeMode and restarted not expecting anything different this time. But lo and behold, my system was clean...for now.

I suggest the moderators of this site allow us grateful users to contribute via Paypal. There is no reason they should spend so much of their free time helping others without some form of compensation...strictly voluntary of course. Does anybody who has benefitted from this site agree??

#2 deathtohackers

deathtohackers

    Member

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:11 AM

FYI, I've been on the net now for over 2 hours and all is still clear. It looks like that did it...after 5 annoying days of spyware, in which they'd clear, then re-appear.

#3 donald

donald

    Member

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:29 AM

Can you give me an idea of the Windows and System 32 files that you deleted in step 4 and where I would find them? I have tried everything else on your list without success. Very frustrating.
Thanks.

#4 deathtohackers

deathtohackers

    Member

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:56 PM

Go to the search screen (Click Start at bottom left, then Search). Click "All files and folders", and type in Windows (in C drive) and System32 (in C drive) in search screen to find the folders. Click on them to find all items. When they show up, click the Views button at top bar, then Details. Then click the Last Modified category button until the most recent are at top. Then delete all files dated AFTER the time that the problem started. For me, it was June 17 and after. If you delete a file you might need, it will still be in the Recycle Bin to be restored if needed. You may want to write down the file names first. I have Windows XP, so the process may vary on others.

Make sure you do this after running AdAware and Hijack This (all in safe mode). This did it for me. View other posts, especially those with problems/HJT logs similar to yours to get an idea of files to be deleted. It may take trial and error.

Best of luck.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button