• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

UPDATE on Upgrade   02/07/2017

We were somewhat delayed on getting the upgrade done, but it looks like it will now be done in the next few days or possibly even later today.   There is one change coming with the new upgrade that may affect people when they log in. There will no longer be separate Usernames and Display Names. Your Display Name will now be the only name you have for the forum and, if you used your Username to log in, you will now need to use your Display Name. It is likely that everyone who visits after the upgrade will need to log in again, so please keep this in mind.   Update again - Feb 7 - We have completed the main part of the upgrade and we are working to tweak settings for the site.  It will probably take us a while, but we will eventually settle down to the way we want it.  In the meanwhile, your posts should be secure, but the look of the forum and some functions may change over time.
    • cnm

We backup daily at 9:00 PM Pacific Time   02/13/2017

You may notice the forum being unresponsive for a few minutes around 9:00 PM PST (11:00 PM CST, 5:00 AM GMT) while we back up the database.
    • cnm

Notifications blocked by Outlook.com, Hotmail, Live, etc   02/14/2017

Our notifications are blocked by those mail servers. If you have email address at Hotmail, Hotmail.uk, etc etc then you will not get notifications and need to manually check for new replies. We recommend Gmail.   The notifications won't even be in your Spam folder - they just go down a black hole.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Petal

AMD or Intel

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Hope you can help. i want to get a new PC and am happy to spend a little bit but not extreme money. I've looked at some and am getting confused with all these processor options.... Is there a big difference between AMD and Intel? Looking to get a dual core processor. I basically want a pc where I can use lots of multi-media options. Video editing, pictures, music, creation of webpages, that kind of stuff.... not into gaming too much really. Any recommendations?

Many thanks!!!

I don't believe there is much difference, except AMD costs less. My own PC (which is about 5 years old) has 2.07 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP

128 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

the usual paradigm cited is

Intel: faster

AMD: smarter

shift away from speed and look at throughput, and youll have a truly better computer

Thanks guys, how do I judge throughput... I'm a bit lost with all those specifications..... I gather for my intended use I'm looking for good memory, a large harddrive and a fast processor?

Lots of RAM and lots of HD if you are going to be working on more than one or two video files. Possibly even a SATA RAID configuration (striped for speed, not mirrored for redundancy). Personally I'm an AMD junkie, and my next system will be an Athlon 64

I currently have: Athlon XP 3200+, Sempron 2400+ (x2), a Sempron 2800+, and my wife's is an Athlon XP 2000+. I've still got a few sub-GHz Celerons and Pentiums floating around, but those are being retired as I can afford to replace them.

Yes. As far as speed goes, most of the time the limiting factors are disk access - which at best is very much slower than CPU speed - and memory access which depends on the speed of the system bus.

So it makes sense to get the less expensive CPU and put the money in disk system and additional memory.

At the moment, simply because I need raw, pure power, I went out and bought a ton of components - chief among them an Intel Core 2 Quad processor running at 2.4GHz.

My view is this - AMD is nice, but in my experience, it ends up in budget machines. All the pure-power machines I've seen are either Intel or PowerPC.

32-bit OS will run on 64-bit systems. Do it all the time (Windows, Linux, etc). It just doesn't take advantage of some of the speed available when running a native x64 OS.

BTW, the new Intel cores are also 64 bit....

Edited by racooper

Intel dual core processors are better than AMD dual core processors but AMD cost a lot less. If it was up to me, i take the AMD processors.