Cannot open browser

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fialoe

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hi, I am not the most advanced when it comes to computers so excuse my lack of knowledge. I have a 3 year old laptop with Windows XP. About a week ago I tried to open the browser but got the 'this page cannot be displayed'. I pinged and all was ok. A warning for low virtual memory comes up but even though I increased that to higher and even much higher values it has not helped. When I turn on PC an error report comes up mentioning woso.exe. I do not know what this is.
I assume I have a virus but cannot connect to web to do a live update - my subscription is also up!
I am in real dire straights. I downloaded firefox in work onto a CD and installed it but to no avail. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am at my wits end and have spend many many hours trying to fox this with little knowledge.
Brian - Dublin

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,522 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 Jr0x

Hatchet man

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

You might be infected by some malware.

Can you get to a working computer with internet connection.

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop:

Burn it to a CD, or copy it to a thumbdrive. I will recommend CD in this case as you might not know if it will infect your thumbdrive as well. Then transfer it to your PC when in safe mode.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

For additional help in booting into Safe Mode, see the following site:
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file and Allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, mark the drives that you want to scan.
  • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
  • Click the green arrow at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look if you can click next icon next to the files found: Posted Image
  • If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:
    Posted Image
    This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantaine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
  • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Reboot your computer!! Because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
Next, try the instruction given here

And post a HijackThis log in Spyware Removal Forum and let the experts down there to continue with the infection.

You may also post a report from Dr.Web CureIt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button