Notepad and MSPAINT disappeared

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

ok my problem is rather odd. MsPaint and notepad has been disappeared from my desktop menu. how do I bring them back in the list?

SEE THIS

Posted Image

I know MS Paint disappeared right after I installed Adobe PS CS3. I dont about Notepad.

one more thing. my Show Desktop button has been deleted accidently by me from Quick Launch. how do I bring that back as well?

help please. :D

Edited by user55, 30 May 2007 - 12:37 PM.

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,523 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

Download next regfix and merge it by doubleclicking it:

Restore the "New" Context Menu to Default: http://www.kellys-ko...contextmenu.reg

Download next script and run it by doubleclicking it:

Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick Launch Bar: http://www.kellys-ko...showdesktop.vbs

Hope this helps :)
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow!---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#4 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:46 AM

thanks alot miekiemoes. it worked well. everything is back to normal now.

is there any GUI program that'll let me make my own context menu? becuase I wanted to add some of my most used programs in there?

:D

#5 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

no wait its not not working properly.

I get this error everytime I make a notepad file

Posted Image

why is that? the context menu went back to normal later. so I run the regfile again and restarte4d my computer but I keep getting this error everytime I make a new notepad file. I get the same error with MS Paint file as well.

help please

Edited by user55, 04 June 2007 - 08:04 AM.

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

Hi,

I guess you want something like this one?
http://pcwin.com/Sof...n_DLL/index.htm
This one is for free.

Edit.. I see you edited your previous post. Hang on..
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow!---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#7 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

The regfixes are the default standards for XP though - so not sure why they won't work.
Unless file associations were messed up as well - or you have been tinkering with something you weren't supposed to tinker with.

Anyway, the MS Paint is the bitmap Image item in context menu > new.
So most probably the association is missing.
Use this regfix:
Change .bmp Default to Paint: http://www.kellys-ko...dbmptopaint.reg

For the txt files, you may want to restore the default association as well.
For that go to next page:
http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm
There download the TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files)

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

Extra addition..

The "Change .bmp Default to Paint" won't restore the handler for the context menu for bitmaps. And as long this handler/association is not present, it will remove itself from the context menu again.

The TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files) should restore it for the txt files though.

Anyway, to restore the bitmap association, Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:
(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp]
@="Paint.Picture"
"CachedFilterIID"="{c3278e90-bea7-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"
"Content Type"="image/bmp"
"PerceivedType"="image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList\MSPaint.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithProgids]
"Paint.Picture"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.
(In case you are unsure how to create a reg file, take a look here with screenshots.)

#9 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

hey thanks for replying again :D

seems like Text file issue has been solved. but that bitmap image keeps giving me same error. first it gives me error and then it disappears form the list.

I have repeated those steps again and again even restarted my computer once.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

^

#10 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

Extra addition..

The "Change .bmp Default to Paint" won't restore the handler for the context menu for bitmaps. And as long this handler/association is not present, it will remove itself from the context menu again.

The TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files) should restore it for the txt files though.

Anyway, to restore the bitmap association, Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:
(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp]
@="Paint.Picture"
"CachedFilterIID"="{c3278e90-bea7-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"
"Content Type"="image/bmp"
"PerceivedType"="image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList\MSPaint.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithProgids]
"Paint.Picture"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.
(In case you are unsure how to create a reg file, take a look here with screenshots.)

sorry I didnt notice this post.

gonna try it now

#11 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

YEAH its working now

its working fine

#12 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

That should work. I noticed previously that the "Change .bmp Default to Paint" didn't restore all associations.
Normally, the context menu should appear automatically after you merged above one though :)

Edit:

YEAH its working now

its working fine

Good to hear. :)
It was more an association case here where default associations were messed up ;)

Edited by miekiemoes, 04 June 2007 - 09:24 AM.

#13 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:31 AM

so this topic is closed?

thanks for help miekiemoes. I am gonna keep those tips and tricks in a document now :D

#14 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Well, you certainly may want to bookmark this page:

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

This in case some file associations get messed up again.
The only one that is missing there is the bmp association, but that one you created yourself now (fix.reg) which is an export of my own XP for bmp files. :)

And you're welcome :)

#15 user55

user55

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

okay it has been noted too thanks Posted Image

#16 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,026 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please tell the moderating team by replying here
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button