• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.   EDIT: I have asked our hosting service to do the restore at 9 PM Central time and it looks like it will go forward at that time.  Please prepare whatever you need to prepare so that we can restore your topics when the forum is stable again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
user55

Notepad and MSPAINT disappeared

16 posts in this topic

ok my problem is rather odd. MsPaint and notepad has been disappeared from my desktop menu. how do I bring them back in the list?

SEE THIS

67x57w7.gif

I know MS Paint disappeared right after I installed Adobe PS CS3. I dont about Notepad.

one more thing. my Show Desktop button has been deleted accidently by me from Quick Launch. how do I bring that back as well?

help please. :D

Edited by user55

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.

If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]

Hi,

Download next regfix and merge it by doubleclicking it:

Restore the "New" Context Menu to Default: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...contextmenu.reg

Download next script and run it by doubleclicking it:

Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick Launch Bar: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...showdesktop.vbs

Hope this helps :)

thanks alot miekiemoes. it worked well. everything is back to normal now.

is there any GUI program that'll let me make my own context menu? becuase I wanted to add some of my most used programs in there?

:D

no wait its not not working properly.

I get this error everytime I make a notepad file

4uux9pz.gif

why is that? the context menu went back to normal later. so I run the regfile again and restarte4d my computer but I keep getting this error everytime I make a new notepad file. I get the same error with MS Paint file as well.

help please

Edited by user55

The regfixes are the default standards for XP though - so not sure why they won't work.

Unless file associations were messed up as well - or you have been tinkering with something you weren't supposed to tinker with.

Anyway, the MS Paint is the bitmap Image item in context menu > new.

So most probably the association is missing.

Use this regfix:

Change .bmp Default to Paint: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...dbmptopaint.reg

For the txt files, you may want to restore the default association as well.

For that go to next page:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

There download the TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files)

Extra addition..

The "Change .bmp Default to Paint" won't restore the handler for the context menu for bitmaps. And as long this handler/association is not present, it will remove itself from the context menu again.

The TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files) should restore it for the txt files though.

Anyway, to restore the bitmap association, Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:

(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp]

@="Paint.Picture"

"CachedFilterIID"="{c3278e90-bea7-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

"Content Type"="image/bmp"

"PerceivedType"="image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList\MSPaint.exe]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithProgids]

"Paint.Picture"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\PersistentHandler]

@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew]

"NullFile"=""

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.

It should look like this: reg.gif

Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

(In case you are unsure how to create a reg file, take a look here with screenshots.)

hey thanks for replying again :D

seems like Text file issue has been solved. but that bitmap image keeps giving me same error. first it gives me error and then it disappears form the list.

I have repeated those steps again and again even restarted my computer once.

68mqo3n.gif

52lyk3k.gif

5ze1e09.gif

^

Extra addition..

The "Change .bmp Default to Paint" won't restore the handler for the context menu for bitmaps. And as long this handler/association is not present, it will remove itself from the context menu again.

The TXT File Association Fix (Restore default associations for TXT files) should restore it for the txt files though.

Anyway, to restore the bitmap association, Open notepad and copy and paste next present in the quotebox below in it:

(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp]

@="Paint.Picture"

"CachedFilterIID"="{c3278e90-bea7-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

"Content Type"="image/bmp"

"PerceivedType"="image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList\MSPaint.exe]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithProgids]

"Paint.Picture"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\PersistentHandler]

@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew]

"NullFile"=""

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.

It should look like this: reg.gif

Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

(In case you are unsure how to create a reg file, take a look here with screenshots.)

sorry I didnt notice this post.

gonna try it now

That should work. I noticed previously that the "Change .bmp Default to Paint" didn't restore all associations.

Normally, the context menu should appear automatically after you merged above one though :)

Edit:

YEAH its working now

its working fine

Good to hear. :)

It was more an association case here where default associations were messed up ;)

Edited by miekiemoes

so this topic is closed?

thanks for help miekiemoes. I am gonna keep those tips and tricks in a document now :D

Well, you certainly may want to bookmark this page:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

This in case some file associations get messed up again.

The only one that is missing there is the bmp association, but that one you created yourself now (fix.reg) which is an export of my own XP for bmp files. :)

And you're welcome :)

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please tell the moderating team by replying here

This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.