• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

Computer Geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:04 PM

I've been hearing about these programs for years but have never used one. I always felt that having that kind of information on your computer was risky in case you got hacked or some form of malware that monitored what you did on your computer. However I'm starting to come around to the idea. So are they relatively safe and what's the best one to use that's free?
I'm waiting for a average computer that can't be infected with malware unless it's intentionally ........ 5 years later: I am still waiting

A Malware Fighting Tiger's Blog

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

Its has been a trade-off between convenience and security here. The M$ setup certaily is convenient, but its encryption algo was cracked several years ago. The other side is more secure, but a lot less convenient, since a separate app needs be opened to access the "goods." There are several free ones around; I'd start at Sourceforge, but Google will yield paydirt as well.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#3 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

Computer Geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

I was looking for specific programs that people have used and think are good, I don't like the idea of downloading programs I've never heard of but thanks for the advice. I didn't realise Microsoft had something like that but regardless I'd rather rely on a separate app.
I'm waiting for a average computer that can't be infected with malware unless it's intentionally ........ 5 years later: I am still waiting

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#4 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

Don't use one myself, but I have heard good things about acerose password vault. Not only can you store passwords, but it will make them up fro you as well.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#5 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

it didnt occur to me until today, but isn't most of this stuff browser-oriented? In other words, passwords to various user web accounts, that a browser would store? If I am understanding it to be just so, wouldn't it make sense to use FF or Opera, which have tighter encryption, and just let them handle it? If not, and you meant something a lil more wide-ranging, then I suppose a dedicated 3rd-party app would be indicated, if there are a lot of them to handle; otherwise, paper and a pad would do just as well... :)

As for being afraid to try stuff out, well only experience will remedy that situation, and shrinking back in fear is only going to guarantee you a comportment of dependency on others, I'm afraid. Probably the first place you should go after reading this is fravia's site, and read the whole thing (it will take several days) but after you have invested this time, you will be able to find ANYTHING on the web your heart would desire and learn a lot of other stuff besides). The most interesting places on the web are the ones that have not yet been explored!

As for being afraid of testing apps, well though that is not without foundation, you could in principle set up a used junker computer specifically for that purpose, and keep the main one clean that way. Sometimes you can get one for free, or $20 or something, and then you have a testbed you can outfit with all kinds of diagnostics and see for yourself what's what.

#6 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

Computer Geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:10 AM

it didnt occur to me until today, but isn't most of this stuff browser-oriented? In other words, passwords to various user web accounts, that a browser would store? If I am understanding it to be just so, wouldn't it make sense to use FF or Opera, which have tighter encryption, and just let them handle it? If not, and you meant something a lil more wide-ranging, then I suppose a dedicated 3rd-party app would be indicated, if there are a lot of them to handle; otherwise, paper and a pad would do just as well... :)

Well I know about the brower options for passwords, I use Firefox myself but I set all that stuff like cookies and such to be automatically wiped when I close the program. The encryption may be a bit tighter but just not enough for me. Well I want to have a unique password for practically every site I have an account with and I have so many that pen and paper just wont cut it, I need a dedicated app.

As for being afraid to try stuff out, well only experience will remedy that situation, and shrinking back in fear is only going to guarantee you a comportment of dependency on others, I'm afraid. Probably the first place you should go after reading this is fravia's site, and read the whole thing (it will take several days) but after you have invested this time, you will be able to find ANYTHING on the web your heart would desire and learn a lot of other stuff besides). The most interesting places on the web are the ones that have not yet been explored!

The reason I don't like installing free programs I've never heard of is because that's the main way during the past year I've gotten some form of malware and I'm trying to avoid that happening again. Also I trust a lot of people at this site and thought some might have some experience with this sort of stuff and be able to recommend one, doesn't mean I'd become dependent but it's not a bad start! About this is fravia's site thing, never heard of it but what is the URL cos I wouldn't mind taking a look?

As for being afraid of testing apps, well though that is not without foundation, you could in principle set up a used junker computer specifically for that purpose, and keep the main one clean that way. Sometimes you can get one for free, or $20 or something, and then you have a testbed you can outfit with all kinds of diagnostics and see for yourself what's what.

I really don't have the space to set up another computer, my room is cluttered enough as it is! Also many of the free or cheap comps I could get would be fairly old and likely not to able to run the OS I have(XP) to be able to use it. I have got an old computer and it's got Windows 2000 Professional installed but I don't wanna risk screwing that up, the OS disk for it got corrupted years ago. It's important I keep it clean because it's my backup computer. It's kind of tragic but for me going without some sort of computer for days drives me nuts!

#7 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:31 PM

Well, here's your first opportunity to learn on your own, enigmachick: bring up your favorite search engine and input the search term "fravia". This is how the rest of us do it.

I hope you understand that I am in no way being critical; instead, I laud your willingness to become more proficient, and especially your attitude and comportment toward the situation, which is neither paranoid, nor overly-zealous: this is the "sweet spot," just where ya need to be.

I forgot to include yesterday that in terms of this item -- password encryption -- I might suggest that if someone is actually in your system, to the point where passwords might be exposed, that their revelation is at that point the very least of your worries, since you are already owned, and far more serious consequences than this probably will ensue.

/sp

Edited by hornet777, 01 June 2007 - 09:32 PM.

#8 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hey e'chick, hope you are well.
I remembered this post, and 5 months later can share the following resources for you to check out.

Direct link to a programme:
http://www.roadkil.net/password.html

Coupla freeware listers for others to try:
http://www.webgrid.c...s&sCat=136&srt=
http://wantdbest.com...antivirus3.html

Of all of them, I tried PINs, and it worked ok.
The usual caveats apply, although the sites cited seemed ok.
I only followed up on the first link, since I am actually looking for graphics software, but found this in the mix. Hope its helpful. If I find more, I'll edit ths post.

#9 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

Computer Geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:32 AM

Thanks for the information! :thumbup:
In regards to graphic software, what type are you looking for and ones that are free or cost money? I'm asking because I'm currently making a amateur computer game and have experience with many different such programs and their resources, so maybe I can help you with the software you're looking for. I've tried 2D and 3D programs.

Edited by EnigmaChick, 08 November 2007 - 04:33 AM.

#10 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

Here's one more that snuck in under the wire:

http://www.woundedmo...2/passkeep.html

The original site is now defunct, but the site that's archiving it is safe.

While I am at it, a great freeware resource is the alt.comp.freeware compendium at

http://www.priceless...rogramIndex.php

This will keep you occupied for a few days, lol! Its pretty well organised and I haven't run across anything bad.

So far as the graphics stuff is concerned, well, I am just trying to archive as much (mainly) old stuff as I can, since it is fast disappearing. Actually, I am pretty well fixed for stuff I use regularly, so its just a matter of happening upon the gem here and there. Thing is that in DSP, there are a lot of algorithms that were developed in the 80s and 90s, some with software that demonstrate these, but were promptly dropped in the face of commercial pressure to establish a standard the would guarantee a cash flow. These older, yet still effective algos are in danger of being forgotten entirely now, so I am looking to "rediscover" them for myself, and retain copies where applicable -- so its partly educational as well. DSP is a big field and almost impossible to take in entirely, but I have found some real gems in what remains, though sometimes it takes some ingenuity with Mr Google to get the job done.

SO yeah, thanks for the offer, and I reciprocate; that what PMs are for! :)
Take care and have fun!

#11 daveydoom

daveydoom

Sounding the crack of doom for malware

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

jedi talks about KeePass in this newsletter edition :) .

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button