• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Unca Pete

Unca Pete

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

Hi all.
I've just been invited to sign up to hi5 by a friend. Is anyone aware of any problems associated with it?
Frankly, i've never even heard of hi5 before today. :huh:

Thanx in advance.
Pete.

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

I'd never heard of them 'til I read this post, but I've just waded through their 'Privacy' policy http://www.hi5.com/f...splayPrivacy.do and it seems as full of holes as a Swiss cheese, note:

To provide you with some of the features that the hi5 community offers to its members, we may use Personal Information that is stored in your profile after you have requested such features, for example to send invitation e-mails to people that you specified as being interested in joining the hi5 community. In order to provide useful information about social networks to people who might be interested in joining the hi5 community, we may use your profile information and photos on the hi5 website and when we send emails, for example when we send birthday reminders to hi5 members or when we send general newsletters to members of the hi5 community.

Note:

hi5 may analyze any collected information for its own internal purposes. In addition, hi5 may remove personally identifying information from collected information to render it anonymous. hi5 may use Anonymous Information for any purpose and disclose Anonymous Information in its discretion.

Note:

We provide your Personal Information to third party service providers who work on behalf of or with hi5 under confidentiality agreements to provide some of the services and features of the hi5 community and to help us communicate with hi5 members. These service providers may use your personal information to help hi5 communicate with you about offers from hi5 and our marketing partners.

Note particularly:

We also provide information to third-party advertising companies

and:

We use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements when you visit our Website. These companies may use Personal Information, such as gender or age, and other information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites, such as time of day of the login, IP address or information about the internet service provider (ISP), in order to provide advertisements on the Website about goods and services that may be of interest to you.

and:

We limit access to personal information about you to employees and third parties who we reasonably believe need access to that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.

So, if you can live without joining this site, and want to keep your details to yourself, and not be advertised to by all and sundry, I'd give it a miss, and stick to the more well-known ones.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 morcheeba

morcheeba

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

I sometimes get emails sent by hi5 on behalf of my msn contacts asking me to sign up to Hi5. As far as I am aware, my friends don't know about the emails, Hi5 seems to send them automatically in the user's name.

#4 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:57 AM

I agree, that seems to be the case.
I think this statement is a bit misleading:

To provide you with some of the features that the hi5 community offers to its members, we may use Personal Information that is stored in your profile after you have requested such features, for example to send invitation e-mails to people that you specified as being interested in joining the hi5 community.

But if they are generated automatically, or without informed consent, that's kind of like spam, really. :hmmm:
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button