• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brettski1

brettski1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:12 AM

I am running Window XP with Service Pack 2. I also run Zone Alarm freeware. I get MS "Security Warning" pop-ups when using Explorer that often lead to Explorer error messages that shut it down.
-
I do have the Windows Firewall turned off in the "Security Center". How can I dial down the MS firewall? Do I really need any of it if I operate Zone Alarm?

#2 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

Are you sure those are truly Microsoft warnings? Many varieties of malware now use Microsoft-looking messages to trick you into downloading and running their malicious payloads. Can you give an example of what you are seeing, or even better, post a HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum?

#3 brettski1

brettski1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

Thank you for the response, racooper.
I think I should narrow down my broad statement. So far, this is only occurring when I go to Ebay. I get a pop up Security Window, presumably from the MS security package in SP2 (I never got this before installing SP2). It is a very standard looking MS pop up window warning:
-
The current web page is trying to open a site in your trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this?
Current site: http://search.ebay.com
Trusted site: http://pn1.adserver.yahoo.com
Yes or No
-
Yesterday, I downloaded IE version 7. I also allow MS to review my system for critical updates. The popup still occurs on Ebay, but it does not disconnect anymore when I respond. This is progress (I think...?)
I have since googled the pn1.adserver.yahoo.com site name and found that I am not alone. You can count me on the presumably long list of annoyed ebayers. Some of the cures have typically been to remove Yahoo from the trusted sites list, but they handle our email. I fear that removing Yahoo will create another problem...?
I hoped that disabling the MS firewall and using Zone Alarm would only allow ZA to react to this kinda stuff. I guess not.
Further thoughts?
(ps; I had my PC reviewed about 2 weeks ago by nasdaq on the Malware forum....all during the same issues I am still encountering as noted above. I did NOT point out this specific issue to nasdaq. Anyway, nasdaq found a couple of things and cleaned house, but the current complaint never changed)

#4 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

How is yahoo listed in your trusted sites list? I would definitely remove any reference to "adserver.yahoo.com" from trusted sites, and if you need Yahoo listed, make sure that the specific server/pool is listed instead of just *.yahoo.com.

I've never had to have Yahoo in trusted sites to use my Yahoo email account...

The particular response you are getting is not a firewall issue, but an Internet Explorer security warning.

I'll also throw out the old standby...have you tried a different browser, such as Firefox or Opera? You won't have to deal with security zones then, and still be more secure than Internet Explorer will ever be.

#5 brettski1

brettski1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

ya gotta love simplicity!
Yep, I removed 3 entries of *.yahoo.com from my trusted sites. Ebay runs fine; without interruption.
Thank you for the tip and support.
-
I have been draggin' my feet on making the browser change to Firefox. I may be a little more inspired at this point. I keep thinking that it's gonna require a whole bunch of user habit changes and PC reconfigurations, so I keep putting it off.

#6 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

Glad to know that resolved your issue!

Firefox will offer to import your Internet Explorer favorites and bookmarks on first run...there's not a lot of difference in operation; the main things to get used to are features that IE didn't even have until version 7 came out, such as tabbed browsing. Firefox also has tons of add-ons including themes to change the look of the browser, to Adblock, even one called IE Tab that will open a website in a Firefox tab, but using the IE rendering engine for those sites that just won't work without IE.

The other main difference is that Firefox is not susceptible to ActiveX-based security issues, since it doesn't support ActiveX (unless you're using the aforementioned IE Tab extension).

I've been using it since...well...since before it was Firefox, or even Mozilla, and it's improved with every iteration. I have my parents using it, I talked my boss (an MS guy) into using it and I encourage anyone who will listen to at least try it out.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button