• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ross Adamason

Ross Adamason

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hi

I am launching an application that users are going to actively download to their computers and i would like to make sure beforehand what rules should i keep in order for the application not to become blacklisted.

many thanks,
Ross.
:huh:

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

The cardinal rule is not to install anything on their PC without being asked. Downloading should be a definite "opt in" choice, and so should any changes made to the PC, like "start when Windows starts".

It should have a well-tested uninstall that will remove all traces of it, including anything in the registry.

False positives are a common cause of blacklisting of anti-malware products.
Look at the listings in http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm
It gives brief reasons for the listings. You could also contact SpywareWarrior with a post at http://www.spywarewa...wforum.php?f=18
suzi is an Ambassador here.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Ross Adamason

Ross Adamason

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:10 AM

The cardinal rule is not to install anything on their PC without being asked. Downloading should be a definite "opt in" choice, and so should any changes made to the PC, like "start when Windows starts".

It should have a well-tested uninstall that will remove all traces of it, including anything in the registry.

False positives are a common cause of blacklisting of anti-malware products.
Look at the listings in http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm
It gives brief reasons for the listings. You could also contact SpywareWarrior with a post at http://www.spywarewa...wforum.php?f=18
suzi is an Ambassador here.

Hi cnm,
Thank you very much for your helpful reply. :)

Can you recommend any certificate/ seal i should purchase in order to have a service reviewing my application activity and declaring that i am a "good guy" and not a malware/ spyware/ asware/ spammer? (Preferably not a very expensive certificate :))
Also, are there any other rules i should keep in order for windows not to identify me as a bad guy"?

Once again thank you very much for your help,
Ross.

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:16 AM

I'm not an expert in that area. I'm not aware of any certificate - perhaps others know. Our members have developed a number of tools; often it's necessary to disable anti-malware programs on the infected PC in order for the tools to do their jobs. However these are free programs, mostly with a specific purpose, used once and then hopefully removed from the PC.

If your program is in the anti-malware area, then you might like to sign up for Boot Camp. It's a good place to ask questions and learn how to detect and fix malware. You're welcome to join the group even if you don't plan to do the training. See The Boot Camp here.
UNITE

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

I'm not an expert in that area. I'm not aware of any certificate - perhaps others know. Our members have developed a number of tools; often it's necessary to disable anti-malware programs on the infected PC in order for the tools to do their jobs. However these are free programs with a specific purpose, used once and then hopefully removed from the PC.

If your program is in the anti-malware area, then you might like to join our Boot Camp. It's a good place to ask questions and see how malware is detected and removed. You're welcome to join the group even if you don't plan to actually do the training course. See The Boot Camp here.
UNITE

#6 BeHE

BeHE

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

Hi cnm,
Thank you very much for your helpful reply. :)

Can you recommend any certificate/ seal i should purchase in order to have a service reviewing my application activity and declaring that i am a "good guy" and not a malware/ spyware/ asware/ spammer? (Preferably not a very expensive certificate :))
Also, are there any other rules i should keep in order for windows not to identify me as a bad guy"?

Once again thank you very much for your help,
Ross.

You probably should post your program on Softpedia (www.softpedia.com). They will review it and provide a badge if your program is spyware-free.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button