Photo

"Command Services" is Adware? (Please Read.)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StayStation

StayStation

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, so please bear with me...

Just a few hours ago while looking up the English translations of some kanji, I was prompted to download Windows Media Player 11 when I listened to the verbal pronunciation of a Japanese word. I thought I remembered getting a similar message before, so I downloaded the update without any major issues.

Afterwards, I ran a Spyware scan using AOL Safety and Security Center, and the following program was found: "Comand Services" (hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\enum\root\legacy_mchinjdrv00). It was listed as "Adware" with a risk rating of "Nuisance." Without thinking, I blocked the program, but I lost the ability to sign on to AOL as the computer crashed everytime I did so (I unblocked said program in order to type this post).

I then ran scans using Panda Software's Online Activescan and Ad-Aware SE Personal, and both came up clean, so I can only assume that AOL Safety and Security Center found a "false-postive."

I have the options to "Block," "Ignore," or "Allow" any spyware/adware, so what do you guys think would be the best course of action?

Thank you for your time.

#2 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Best action would be to post a HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum. "Command Services" has been used in the name of some malware entries; it would be best to have a helper here check your log for any problems.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button