wtf?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 niroshido

niroshido

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

running a check through the crap i have on my pc, i decide its best to free up some space on my HD, so i head over to Add or Remove, i work my way through a list of games i dont use anymore (so i delete), until i am hit by an insanely huge file

Logic Circuits (version 1.1)(C:program files\lc\) <---

this is the name seen on the add or remove list (apart from the arrow i made) u will notice the file size is 21.07GB on my HD WTF?. this is very conserning especially when an investegation into this alleged space on my HD states that the file (\lc) is no more than 800KB on my HD showing pictures of logic circuits (i needed for college(computing class))

also take note: while the file name above is what i see, the image of windows media players stands next to it?!!.?? :unsure:

now since this thing is massive and wasting 21GB i am uncertain as to whether or not i should delete this file.

(BTW i reloaded the add or remove window just incase)(also i checked the size of the program files folder its at about 15GB which means that either add or remove is 1 hell of a lying son of a gun or i got me some massive file with resources tied outside of program files etc.)

any assistance on this matter will be gratefully accepted

(bming page just incase i loose it)

#2 racooper

racooper

Master of my own Domain

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

Windows is a notorious lier when it comes to Add/Remove programs. You can't trust the file size nor the "last used" date...

Also, make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked and "Show hidden files" is selected in the Folder options->View control panel.

You can also download a trial of DiskData, which will help you find the large files/directories on your PC.

Edited by racooper, 18 August 2007 - 07:15 PM.

#3 nl255

nl255

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

What you have described sounds like a recursive NTFS junction (similar to a symlink) issue. Here is a quote from the help file of the software I use to make them (Winbolic Link). "A circular Junction (one in which the target is a parent directory of the Junction) will cause recursive traversals to cycle forever. This could cause a find function to traverse forever (or close, since path names are limited to many thousand characters in NTFS-5), or a backup utility to back up the same data repeatedly." Also, if you want to try Diskdata you should check to see if it is junction aware, otherwise it might give you the same false information as Windows.

Edited by nl255, 12 September 2007 - 03:59 PM.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button