Strange Application

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Don-a

Don-a

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

This moring when using our laptop a window popped up and the application was blocked by our firewall. The Application was to "speed up and optimize the Laptop."

We think the program came in with an email, however PCTools spyware doctor did not detect it....PcTools firewall did warn us about the program and blocked it from access to the net.

The only way I could shut down the popup window was using the Windows task manager.

However, the program had installed an icon on the desktop and a exe file in the temp internet dir. The only way to delete the exe file in the Temp dir was in safe mode--it would not delete allow access when in Windows.

The name or the program is: Preformanceoptimizerpre_installer[1].exe
When I moused over the name in the search window the creator or company displayed was: Sellmosoft Inc.

After deleteing the desktop icon and exe file, PCtools anti-spy/anti-virus scanned clean.

Don

Edited by Don-a, 18 August 2007 - 10:57 AM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

If you are asking for help, I suggest you read the FAQ and post in Malware Removal... If you are reporting that the problem is resolved, if it is malware, it is probably just less evident and, again, I suggest you read the FAQ and post in Malware Removal...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Don-a

Don-a

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

If you are asking for help, I suggest you read the FAQ and post in Malware Removal... If you are reporting that the problem is resolved, if it is malware, it is probably just less evident and, again, I suggest you read the FAQ and post in Malware Removal...

Thanks for the feed back, Budfred, yes no more problems with the pop-up and so it is cured. Thought I would list it anyway so others could be aware...I will post as you suggest..

Edited by Don-a, 19 August 2007 - 04:58 PM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button