• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 krtate

krtate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:26 AM

I only have until tuesday 9/25 to take advantage of their offer for an extra year free when I upgrade to the McAfee Virus Scan Plus package.

How does the windows firewall and the McAfee firewall work together? Do I need to turn one off?

Any other concerns with the free programs such as sypware blaster?

Thank you

Edited by krtate, 22 September 2007 - 06:36 AM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:36 AM

Most firewall installs automatically turn off the Windows firewall and, yes, it is important that only one firewall be on at a time... 2 software firewalls at the same time is less protection, not more... Also, the Windows firewall is not considered good protection since it only protects against incoming garbage... I would not particularly recommend the McAfee firewall unless you are getting it for free, but something more than the Windows firewall is a good idea and then make sure the Windows firewall is turned off once it is installed...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

And no, SpywareBlaster is an excellent program that you can use for free and provides protection with no resource load... If you haven't read the "So how did I get infected in the first place?", I suggest you do so... Many of your questions are probably already answered there...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 krtate

krtate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:55 AM

At the moment the only McAfee product I have is McAfee Virus Scan. Also I wanted to add that I also use a router with a wireless connection to another computer.

You don't think the upgrade to "Plus" would be the appropriate choice since you do not care for their firewall?

Edited by krtate, 22 September 2007 - 07:11 AM.

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

I am not particularly familiar with their firewall and I imagine it is fine... I have seen problems with their suite being a resource hog to the point that systems are visibly slowed down by it, so I am not that fond of the suite... I have heard that they have cleaned that up a bit in the latest version, but I am not sure how true that is... I use NOD32 (now called Eset) and the Kerio firewall, both of which seem to take very few resources... I have tried several of the major suites and would not install any of them again, unless I hear that they have dramatically cleaned them up to run well...
Budfred

#6 krtate

krtate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

Also I wanted to add that I also use a router with a wireless connection to another computer.

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

You keep editing while I am writing...

Your router will have probably have some firewall protection as well, so be sure to use it and to set the security to its highest level on the router with a strong password... If the router is not protected, any protection you put on the computer can be useless since someone can easily break into your computer on the wireless connection...
Budfred

#8 krtate

krtate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:20 AM

Thank you, sorry about the editing.

My router is set for high security, therefore what should I do about the other computer. It has a free virus program (CA), spyware blaster, spybot, adaware but no other firewall except Windows.

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

I would add one of the firewalls that have free versions available... Kerio, Outpost, ZoneAlarm and several more...
Budfred

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button