Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite with Trial Pay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pmriekert

pmriekert

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:50 AM

When I went to update my free Zone Alarm firewall-their web site now says that the paid version of Zone Alarm is now "free". At the bottom of the page, it states,
"You will get a copy of fully licensed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite for free through our new partnership with TrialPay. Try or buy products you already need from hundreds of name brand retailers and THEY will pay for your software."

It sounds to me that if I download this, that I'm either obligated to buy some products their advertising, or that I'm going to be inundated with ads. Is my intepretation correct? Or is this worth downloading?

Thus far, I've had good luck with Zone Alarm, and would rather not switch unless theres a real reason not to? I did do a search on this topic and didn't find any info about it. But I see that Zone Alarm is no longer available in your firewall software downloads.

Pam

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:59 PM

When I went to update my free Zone Alarm firewall-their web site now says that the paid version of Zone Alarm is now "free". At the bottom of the page, it states,
"You will get a copy of fully licensed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite for free through our new partnership with TrialPay. Try or buy products you already need from hundreds of name brand retailers and THEY will pay for your software."

It sounds to me that if I download this, that I'm either obligated to buy some products their advertising, or that I'm going to be inundated with ads. Is my intepretation correct? Or is this worth downloading?

Thus far, I've had good luck with Zone Alarm, and would rather not switch unless theres a real reason not to? I did do a search on this topic and didn't find any info about it. But I see that Zone Alarm is no longer available in your firewall software downloads.

Pam

That definitely sounds like a scam to me and I would avoid it like the plague... It also doesn't sound like something I would expect them to do, so I wonder if you went to a hacked site or if your computer is infected... How did you get to the site??

To be even more clear about my biases, I took advantage of a discount to upgrade to ZA Pro a couple or 3 years ago... I immediately regretted it and will not be using ZA again, even if they offered to pay me to use it... I use Kerio and highly recommend it, I was immediately impressed with the fact that my computer was running faster and I have seen the Simple mode work very well for people that do not want to get asked about what to allow all the time... There are a number of other options that have free versions like Outpost and Comodo...

I am not sure what you are referring to with our "firewall software downloads"... We don't really have a current download page at this time...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:08 PM

Speaking of Kerio...

Budfred, where are you able to get a non-trial version of the Kerio firewall? Sunbelt's site only offers the paid version or a 30 day trial.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

Speaking of Kerio...

Budfred, where are you able to get a non-trial version of the Kerio firewall? Sunbelt's site only offers the paid version or a 30 day trial.

I haven't installed it for a while, but as I remember, when the 30 trial expires the firewall continues to work, but with some functions turned off... It is similar to the AVG Anti-Spyware trial...

However, I just noticed on the Sunbelt site that they are offering it for $10 today and that is a good deal, so it may be worthwhile to consider that option...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

Speaking of Kerio...

I haven't installed it for a while, but as I remember, when the 30 trial expires the firewall continues to work, but with some functions turned off... It is similar to the AVG Anti-Spyware trial...

However, I just noticed on the Sunbelt site that they are offering it for $10 today and that is a good deal, so it may be worthwhile to consider that option...

Ah okay.

Thank you for the information. :)

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#6 pmriekert

pmriekert

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

Pam

That definitely sounds like a scam to me and I would avoid it like the plague... It also doesn't sound like something I would expect them to do, so I wonder if you went to a hacked site or if your computer is infected... How did you get to the site??

To be even more clear about my biases, I took advantage of a discount to upgrade to ZA Pro a couple or 3 years ago... I immediately regretted it and will not be using ZA again, even if they offered to pay me to use it... I use Kerio and highly recommend it, I was immediately impressed with the fact that my computer was running faster and I have seen the Simple mode work very well for people that do not want to get asked about what to allow all the time... There are a number of other options that have free versions like Outpost and Comodo...

I am not sure what you are referring to with our "firewall software downloads"... We don't really have a current download page at this time...

I found that Zone Alarm website from my desktop at home--I'm on my laptop now, and when I click on the zone alarm firewall on my laptop, I do not see anything about this "offer". When I get home, I'll check my desktop. You may very well be right about getting to a hacked site or my desktop being infected. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Pam

#7 zonealarmforcefield

zonealarmforcefield

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

Pam

I found that Zone Alarm website from my desktop at home--I'm on my laptop now, and when I click on the zone alarm firewall on my laptop, I do not see anything about this "offer". When I get home, I'll check my desktop. You may very well be right about getting to a hacked site or my desktop being infected. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Pam

There's actually another Zone Alarm product that might help with problems like this. Our new beta, Forcefield, virtualizes your browser, so you are not directly susceptible to phishing, and other infiltrations like you're talking about. There's a free beta on our site right now that might help! Regardless, i hope you find a security solution that works for you!

Good luck!
~Lauren
www.zonealarm.com/forcefield

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button