Help fighting spam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pharnok

pharnok

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:53 PM

I have a personal email account that I don't want to give up, but recently I have been getting a ton of spam. is there anyway I can fight back so that they stop sending them to me or at least cut down on the number of spam I receive?

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,499 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:18 PM

Not really... You can use filters or a program like MailWasher to screen some of it out, but you still need to deal with it... The main thing with SPAM is to be very careful about where you give your email address... If you have posted it publicly or given it to even one dubious site, you will be added to dozens of SPAM lists... If you feel a need to give an email address out to such places, it is a good idea to get and use a disposable address...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 pharnok

pharnok

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

The strange thing is I never use this email address for posts or anywhere else. It's just to email personal friends. :(

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,499 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

That probably means either one of your friends had/have an infection that raided their address book or you had/have an infection that stole your email address... If that is the case, you have a much bigger problem than SPAM...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 prdummond

prdummond

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Dear Users, 

I was recently scammed by a job i applied for via email. 

Only to find out it was a scam. I want to start a movement to 

expose these scammers/Scams. I want to receive as many emails as possible about 

fake scam jobs, sent to emails across the internet. 

I hope to stop these fools. 

[address removed]. Any help will be much appreciated. 

Your e-mail address was removed. You can create a new topic and ask for posted replies about others' experiences with scams, but spambots harvest e-mail addresses posted online and e-mail addresses will be removed from posts. Your two duplicate posts were deleted.

Edited by TheJoker, 29 July 2014 - 05:21 AM.
E-mail address removed, duplicate posts removed

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button