tc2tc.mojolingo.xuite.net?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aixit

aixit

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

I was taken to the above URL when I clicked on a link in a well-known and usually trouble-free web site. The page I was directed to looked pretty much as it should except for a mojolingo.xuite popup that seemed to be trying to load an audio file I was looking for, and a smattering of question marks in place of text. The weirdest thing about this is that I'm finding next to nothing about this url on google, and other searches have given me a single anti-spyware site as a result (which has nothing about it btw). Searches on this site and others like it have come up with no results at all. It would seem that I am the only one in the world who has encountered this online ufo!
Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

Hi aixit,

I've submitted that website to McAfee SiteAdvisor for review. I will let you know the results as soon as they come out.

From the looks of things, it seems as though this site is masquerading as other sites. Google results show me this:

hxxp:||tc2tc.mojolingo.xuite.net/m2m-0000/www. pixelbee. com/?eid=280

Notice PixelBee in there, which is a legitimate graphics site...

Part of the site appears to be devoted to... movie reviews?

The question marks refer to oriental characters which your computer can't properly display; in my research, I do see a section of the site with Chinese characters.

May I ask which website took you here?

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#3 aixit

aixit

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

May I ask which website took you here?

Thanks for your reply. If you're still there, it was my local public radio station. I then followed a link from that page to NPR.org, and again the url was the mojolingo.xuite address. Xuite.net takes me to a page that appears to advertise a tracking/counting/translating service of some sort. They may be legit but I still wonder how they hijacked my browser.
I have not had this happen since. When I visit those pages now they work fine. Bitdefender didn't seem to notice anything unusual either. So I guess I don't have a problem now - just my usual burning desire to know WHY.
p.s. so, WHY?

#4 Jindrak

Jindrak

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:56 AM

Hmm...It seems to be an exact replica of Yahoo! :huh:

http://www.google.co...t...earch&meta=

Edited by Jindrak, 14 November 2007 - 02:59 AM.

#5 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:45 PM

It replicates many pages, not just Yahoo! unfortunately. :unsure:

I've reported it to McAfee SiteAdvisor; let's see what they have to say about it.

Looks like there's a small discussion of this here. Can anyone read German?

Edited by screen317, 14 November 2007 - 06:53 PM.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#6 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

they were just discussing the phenomenon observed by aixit above as it appeared to them, and didn't get as far as it did here; apparently its not restricted to any given locality
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button