• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cccm

cccm

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:39 PM

hi
i would like to have your opinion on the following issue.

I have had experieneced a lot of malware attacks and i strongly suspect that my pc has been ROOTKIT attacked, as i used the pc for non critical purposes and with very minimal protection. However, i decided to get a new hard drive to replace the one with all the malware, because i would like to use the computer for some very sensitive data handling.

1) my first question is, will i be safe using a new hard drive form all kinds of malware including the most dangerous rootkits. i mean can the motherboard be infected.. if so how to see if it has been infected.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second question is; when i use the new hard drive and install the OS (win xp with sp2) what to do next...ie. do i update windows first or download my anitvirus prog first..

i am asking because, i have no hardware firewall (router) and my internet connection is VERY VERY slow so it would take me over an hour to update windows.

2) Am i safe trying to update windows with no hardware firewall, no antivirus prog running for over an hour?
put in mind the previous history of attacks and the fact that i will be handling quite sensitive data and need to be supersafe.

the antivirus prog that i will use, i will download from the internet (since my current drive is a malware junkie, i wont use it to download and burn)..

thanks
cccm

#2 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Same being posted in a few other security forums and getting some advice here http://www.bleepingc...opic121115.html
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:40 PM

And I posted a response to this question a few days ago... Since that response is NOT in this topic, it suggests you are using more than one identity to ask the question... Is it your intention to waste as much time of our helper volunteers as possible??
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button