High-level firewall set-up question...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chillbill

chillbill

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

For added firewall protection, I'm thinking I need a router in place, but wanted to ask for opinions here ... my wired set-up is as follows:

Cablevision cable running into Cablevision DSL modem. Wired connection output running from modem straight into Dell Desktop PC network port. My parents are running one of the Symmantec's firewall software programs. But, I'm wondering if I need to get a Linksys rounter in-between the modem and my parents desktop for an added layer of firewall protection as I'm not sure what (if any) is within the Cablevision modem itself. Before I move to the PC software side-of-the-house, I want to make sure I have the proper harware configuration setup. Thoughts/comments??? Thanks!

#2 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

Great question chillbill and well worth the read.

Whether or not you have a home network of two or more computers, putting a router between your computer and your broadband modem has some definite advantages. Even a single computer is safer with a router connection.

http://www.spcug.org...iews/bl0408.htm
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button