• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mynameispants

mynameispants

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:15 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if I can get a few suggestions. I have read the "How did I get infected in the first place?" posts, and I have done a decent amount of research, and I was wondering what type of each software (antivirus, spyware, firewall, etc.) you think is the best (free or not).

In the "How did I get infected in the first place?" post, it says to consider SpywareGuard. Would it be bad to run this with PC Tools Spyware Doctor running? Currently, on my PC, I have Spybot, Adaware, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, and McAfee AV. I am going to be removing McAfee (it is an old build).

I would like to have Spybot, Adaware, ZoneAlarm, an AV program (I'm willing to pay for the best, maybe PC Tools AV or AVG?), an antispyware program (again, I'll pay for it if it's good, maybe Spyware Doctor or AVG AntiSpyware?), SpywareBlaster (is this necessary if I use Spybot?), RogueRemover, and maybe SpywareGuard (again, I don't know if this would be compatible with a Spyware Doctor or AVG AntiSpyware). Anything else you think I might need that won't conflict with my main security programs?

Does anyone use PC Tools Spyware Doctor WITH their Antivirus. I have Spyware Doctor on another machine, and I like it, so if its AV is highly recommended, then I could save some money and buy the bundle. But I am willing to spend the extra change to get the best of each class.

Thank you for your advice,

-Dan-

#2 Tarq57

Tarq57

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

Hi. Haven't lurked here much recently, but like anyone have an opinion (of course.)
Decided to take responsibility for my computer's security about two years ago after getting a trojan. Self taught, spend a bit of time on forums like this, protect my system 100% with freeware, haven't had any malware since.

"What's the best" is, I think, a fairly subjective term. I know of users who are very happy with a particular security suite, yet a lot of others are frustrated at how poorly the 'pooter performs with it on board, as an example. This suite is also considered to have a pretty good detection and cleaning ability,but is badmouthed by many (ex) users. (Self included. Hence not named.)
So that's an example.
For something to be "the best" really means, I think "works well on my computer with my other programs", "I know how to use it correctly", "I can get help if I need it it" and several other factors. (eg: gui looks good/doesn't matter-it works, the help file is tailored to my level of expertise, the forum/customer support is excellent, updates are incremental-which rocks because I'm on dial up...)
I'm using Avast Home antivirus. I have been given no reason to want to change. (I'll bet there are millions of users who could fairly confidently say the same about their Av.) (Kaspersky, Esset, Dr Web, AVG, Avira,F-Secure...a few reputable names that spring to mind, here.)
For a firewall, consider a hardware firewall or router, and something like Comodo firewall Pro, Outpost, Online Armour Kerio, or Jetico. There are others, of course.
For antispyware, Superantispyware, AVG Antispyware, Asquared, are pretty darned good. I don't know about Spyware Doctor. You can keep that, and set one of the others up as a demand scanner, I guess. Any of those three are streets ahead of AdAware.
Or you might want to consider an alternative approach. Such as virtualization/sandboxing. Read real good things about Sandboxie.
Whatever you choose, try it first. All programs on offer should come with a trial period. Some (a lot I've mentioned) are free, so the trial is irrelevant. Your security plan is probably best served by a combination of system hardening, keeping programs and OS up to date, having a pretty good AV/Firewall combination, and backing up important data.
[edit] If you don't have the original OS disk, imaging becomes important, also. And is useful, I'm told, even if you do have the OS disk.
[edit2] no reason why SpywareBlaster will cause any problems with any other program. It uses no resource, just blocks known bad sites. Like the immunity available in Spybot. Only possible downside is that too many "immunities" will slightly slow your browsing. I'd pick one form of immunity (in my case, a hosts file) and disable the rest.

Edited by Tarq57, 27 January 2008 - 10:04 PM.

Windows XP Home SP2. AMD 3500+, 1G RAM. Resident AV, AS, Firefox/noscript, all installations checked weekly with Secunia s/w inspector.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button