Photo

HELP!!! Flash Player is not working in IE.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:36 PM

I am having difficulty when trying to view Flash Player in IE, when I am logged onto such sights as MySpace, YouTube, & ESPN.

I keep receiving the message, "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.", when on a page that should have something playing.

I have updated to the latest Flash Player and JavaScript is turned on.

I have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, TrogenHunter, even after I've run a Nortons scan and had Windows Defender run a scan.

Also have SpywareBlaster operating.

There is no adware, spyware, malware on my system.

What is going on???

For the life of me I can not find out what is wrong here.

Please help.

I am running: Windows Vista Home Premium.
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 2046 MB
System type: 32-bit

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,533 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hello c2lane,

Sorry it's taken so long for someone to reply. Occasionally a post falls through trhe cracks and it seems that it has happened in your case. If you're still needing assisstance, I'll be happy to help. :)

Your problem is apparently pretty common and the solutions are sort of divided as to wihch works and which doesn't.

Try the fixes discussed Here or Here and let me know if they help.

We'll take it from there. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image
ChrisRLG's Computer Safety Online

"I was worried 'bout rich and skinny,
'til I wound up poor and fat"
- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#4 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

Thanks SCB,

Ok, I ran the uninstaler, downloaded new flashplayer, instaled SubInACL & reset_minimal.zip file.

Nothing is working yet. When I downloaded the flashplayer, three sub windows flashed open quickly, showed nothing but white. Wierd thing is now I see them when using IE, a lot.

Not sure why this isn't working.

Let me know what to do.

Hello c2lane,

Sorry it's taken so long for someone to reply. Occasionally a post falls through trhe cracks and it seems that it has happened in your case. If you're still needing assisstance, I'll be happy to help. :)

Your problem is apparently pretty common and the solutions are sort of divided as to wihch works and which doesn't.

Try the fixes discussed Here or Here and let me know if they help.

We'll take it from there. :wave:

SCB

#5 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hello c2lane,

I guess I should have asked this the first time around, but have you ever been able to view Shockwave (with IE7), or is this something that just happened recently? Also, you said that you have the most recent version of Flash Player. Do you also have the latest version of Java?

There was actually another post in this thread yesterday, but it appears that it was pulled. However, silly as it may sound, I need to check all the bases (the more information available to better the chance we can pinpoint your problem quickly).

droy22 says: Don't know if you have fixed your problem yet but if not I think I can help. You need to enable Shockwave Flash Object. To do this right click on internet explorer, hit properties and on the properties page click on the "programs" tab, hit "manage add-ons". This should produce a list of Add-ons currently installed on your computer. Find "Shockwave Flash Object", hi-lite it, and then click "enable" at the bottom of the page. Hit ok and see if this helps.

Please don't be offended by my asking what appear to be obvious steps that anyone would take. Very often in troubleshooting, it's the most basic or obvious solutions that turn out to be correct. Meanwhile, I'll check around and see if I can find any other possibilities.

Incidentally, do you have another browser such as Firefox installed? If so, do Flash Player files work with that?

Looking forward to your response. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#6 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Thanks SBC,

Yes, I was able to view Shockwave previously and it did just happen recently, the last 6-7 weeks or so.

Yes, I believe I do have the most recent version of Java. This laptop is only six months old and running Vista, (which I am not too fond of btw.)

And in responce to the post from yesterday, yes, Shackwave Flash Object was enabled, already.

I do not have another browser installed. Firefox was installed back in Nov. but then removed, (just found that out).
This issue has been occuring for not quite two months now.

I appreciate all the effort regarding this issue, Thank You again for your time. :D

c2lane

#7 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hello c2lane,

Troubleshooting often requires more than one or two steps. It may seem that you will never see the end of this problem, but by hook or by crook (as my mom used to say) we will get to the bottom of this. :) If the problem has just started recently, let's take care of the obvious things first (usually the best way to go. LOL). So: start by doing the following:

Download and scan with CCleaner
NOTE: Starting with v1.27.260, CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbarfree Slim version instead of the Standard Build.

Before first use:
  • Select Options=>Advanced.
  • UNcheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours
Select the items you wish to clean up.
  • A note regarding cookies: CCleaner allows you to keep the cookies from selected sites such as those which use cookies to save your login information.
  • From the main screen:Click Options=>Cookies.
  • Highlight the web sites you wish to keep.
  • Click the -> button.
Click the Cleaner button to return to the main screen.
  • In the Windows tab:
    • Select all items. NOTE: UN-check Saved Form Information, where available. If you leave this box checked. You will lose all of your saved passwords.
  • In the Applications tab:
    • Select all items. NOTE: UN-check Saved Form Information, where available. If you leave this box checked. You will lose all of your saved passwords.
Click the Run Cleaner button.
  • A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
  • Click OK.
CCleaner will scan and clean your system..
  • When cleaning is complete:
  • Close the CCleaner window
Once that is finished, the following Microsoft web site provide information on troubleshooting Internet Explorer 7. How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer add-ons: frequently asked questions anfd Reset Internet Explorer settings

If none of those suggestions work, we will have to dig deeper into your machine. Hopefully, this won't be the case. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#8 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

Thanks SBG,

OK, I went through and tried everything you stated. Still nothing is working. ???

This is realy confusing.

#9 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hello c2lane,

Here are some suggestions that I found at the Microsoft Forums. I just went to that site, registered and did a search for IE7 + Flash Player. Some of the results are as follows

Go to this site http://www.adobe.com.../downloads.html

1. Download the Windows Flash Player 9 ActiveX control content debugger (for IE) (EXE, 1.22 MB)
2. Run the installation & it will put (partial registry info -- I left it out because it was in complete) missing registry item in.

From another post:

In the same page (Adobe link above) I found a link for the Flash Player Uninstaller. I used this program to uninstall the Flash Player and then I reinstalled from the Adobe download page.

From another post:
However, it (Flash Player ) might not work because of the security policy. The alternative way is to:
Using Windows Explorer
1, Locate the following path:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

2. If you find an exe file named: FlashUtil9b -- Double click it and the flash player will be reinstalled or fixed.
or
3. If you find a exe file named: GetFlash -- Double click it and the flash player will be downloaded and installed.

Let me know if any of those suggestions work. Incidentally, from the little amount that I looked around, that forum looks like a really good place to get answers for, well, pretty much any Microsoft product. Even if these suggestions don't work, I would still recommend registering there and bookmarking that site -- I did. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#10 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Again SCB,

OK, tried all, nothing new. Still the same issues.

One thing I have seen and just realized, on those pages where there should be the active-x functions, there is an error message which occurs,
In the status bar, "Done, but with errors on page."
"Problems with this Web page might prevent it from displayed properly or functioning properly..."
"Error: Error in loading DLL"

Not sure what that means but...

Thanks again for your assistance and yes I have bookmarked the Forum you pointed out. Will be registering asap.

Chris

#11 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hello Chris,

......on those pages where there should be the active-x functions, there is an error message.....

Aha! We might be getting somewhere. Those errors may very well be what's causing the problem. I'm going to have you download and run a diagnostic tool that we usually use for rooting out malware but may very well be useful here as well.

Please click Here or Here to download HJTInstall.exe.
  • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
  • Click Install.
  • By default program will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
  • HijackThis (HJT) will launch.
  • Close >>any/all<< browsers, messenger, mediaplayer, Office and mail client windows and applications.
  • Click Do a system scan and save a logfile
  • When the scan is finished, a Notepad window will open containing the contents.
  • Hit Ctrl+a to select all of the logs contents.
  • Hit Ctrl+c to copy the logs contents.
  • Come back to this thread.
  • Click Reply.
  • Hit Ctrl+v to paste the log into the Message body box.
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. (Most of what it finds will be harmless or even essential.)

Make certain your post shows the entire log, please. NOTE: For subsequent HijackThis scans:
Double click the HijackThis shortcut on your desktop.

The log file will show me which ActiveX components you have installed as well as the version of Java you currently have installed. This may be very helpful in pinpointing the source of your problem. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#12 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

sorry, duplicate post

Edited by SpotCheckBilly, 14 March 2008 - 04:30 PM.

IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#13 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thanks SCB,

Here you go. Hope this is everything you wanted. If not let me know.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:16:38 PM, on 3/17/2008
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16609)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Windows\sttray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BtStackServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEUser.exe
C:\Users\c2lane\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.earthlink.net/channel/START
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: CBrowserHelperObject Object - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\UIBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Volume Panel\VolPanlu.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\Windows\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] c:\dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ALUAlert] "C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALuNotify.exe" "/LOWDISKSPACE C"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [yDecode] C:\Program Files\yDecode\yDecode.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-2842470266-188380034-2780951539-501\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'Guest')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickSet.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace....ploader1006.cab
O16 - DPF: {49312E18-AA92-4CC2-BB97-55DEA7BCADD6} (WMI Class) - http://support.dell....r/SysProExe.CAB
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Labs Licensing Service - Creative Labs - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\Windows\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Internal Network Card Power Management (nicconfigsvc) - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NicConfigSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 9798 bytes

#14 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hello Chris,

Okay, I notice that both your Java and Adobe are out of date so let's start by updating them.

Since you are getting an error trying to load the ActiveX component, let's start out with fresh installs.

Go >>Here<< and download the following:
Adobe Reader
Adobe Flash Player

Save them to your desktop.
  • Go to Start=>Control Panel=>Add/Remove Programs.
  • Uninstall:
    Adobe Reader (whatever your current version)
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX NOTE: Reboot in between even if you're not prompted to do so.
  • Install Adobe Reader
  • Adobe Flash Player with a reboot in between.
Next,

Update Java. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

Step 1:

Updating Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE): Currently Version 6, Update 5.
  • Scroll down to: "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5
    The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications.
    ".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check-mark (tic): "Accept License Agreement".
  • Page will refresh.
  • Click "Windows Offline Installation (with or without Multilanguage) ".
  • Save to desktop.
Step 2:

Remove older versions:
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially web browser(s).
  • Go to Start => Control Panel
  • Double-click Add/Remove programs.
  • Highlight any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click Remove or Change/Remove.
  • Repeat for any/all versions of Java.
Step 3:

Install newest version: ha ha
  • After all Java components are removed:
    Reboot
  • Double-click jre-6u5-windows-i586-p.exe on your desktop.
  • Follow prompts to install new version. NOTE: If you don't want the Google toolbar UNcheck the option when given the opportunity.
Finally, let's make sure your HOSTS file has not become corrupted.

Download HostsXpert v4.2 and unzip it to your desktop.
  • Double click on HostsXpert.exe to launch the program.
  • Click on Restore MS Hosts File to restore your Hosts file to its default condition.
  • Click on Make ReadOnly to secure it against further infection.
  • Exit the program.
Visit the Website for more information.

Post back with your results. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#15 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Thanks SCB,

I followed your instructions as posted.
The last part regarding "Restore MS Hosts File", didn't work.
An error message came up stating that "...the file could not be created".
Flash player functions on Myspace, but still isn't working on Youtube and ESPN.
This is perplexing...

Chris

#16 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:45 AM

SCB,

Not sure if you needed this report again, so I posted it anyway.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:42:40 AM, on 3/19/2008
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16609)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Windows\sttray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BtStackServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msn_sl.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Users\c2lane\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.earthlink.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: CBrowserHelperObject Object - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\UIBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Volume Panel\VolPanlu.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\Windows\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] c:\dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [yDecode] C:\Program Files\yDecode\yDecode.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-2842470266-188380034-2780951539-501\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'Guest')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickSet.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace....ploader1006.cab
O16 - DPF: {49312E18-AA92-4CC2-BB97-55DEA7BCADD6} (WMI Class) - http://support.dell....r/SysProExe.CAB
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.m...ash/swflash.cab
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Labs Licensing Service - Creative Labs - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\Windows\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Internal Network Card Power Management (nicconfigsvc) - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NicConfigSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 10791 bytes

#17 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hi Chris,

The fact that Flash Player works on any web page is encouraging. HostsXpert may not be able to modify your "HOSTS" file if the properties are set to "read-only".

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to:
C.:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc
  • Locate the file named "hosts" (no extension).
  • Right click and select "properties".
  • UN check "Read-only".
  • Click Apply=>OK.
  • Exit Windows Explorer.
Try running the HostsXpert program again.

This problem has also been associated with the process "ieuser.exe". See if the information outlined >>Here<< helps out.

Keep me posted. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#18 sdaa

sdaa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

I noticed in one of your first posts your running SpywareBlaster, did you look in the tools portion and make sure your flash killer is not checked. I had that happen to me once.

#19 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hello sdaa,

I noticed in one of your first posts your running SpywareBlaster, did you look in the tools portion and make sure your flash killer is not checked. I had that happen to me once.

That's a good suggestion, certainly worth investigating. However, since Flash Player works on some sites but not others, I would suspect even more that he has ActiveX blocked for some of those sites.

@Chris -- To check whether ActiveX is blocked on some of the sites which will not display Flash Player:
  • Launch Spywareblaster.
    In the status window (opens by default).
    In the line next to the Internet Explorer icon:
  • Click the link that reads "0 items have protection disabled...".
  • Scroll through the list to see if any of the sites you cannot view Flash Player in.
  • If you find any, UN check them.
  • Click "Remove protection for unchecked items".
  • Close the Spywareblaster window.
Be careful when removing ActiveX protection. Those sites are put on the list for a reason. Sites such as ESPN are probably still pretty safe, but it's a good idea to check out WHY the site was put on a list before removing protection from it.

I have done this with several sites (such as Pogo) in the protection for cookies, because the games won't play if cookies are not allowed. I just have to deal with the extra junk mail generated.

As always, keep me posted :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#20 c2lane

c2lane

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

OK, I cleared up the hole Hosts thing. And since the first post, I have removed Spywareblaster.
Nothing has changed at this point. I now, am unable to view flash media player, again. Was able to for about a day, but not now.
I haven't done anything. This "vista" is realy pissing me off.
Between this issue and the fact that I have never been able to find the home network printer, I'm just about done.

Let me know if there is something that I am missing.

Thanks,

Chris

#21 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. There is very little that is more frustrating than not being able to make a program behave itself. And, no. It's not something that you have missed. It would appear that both Microsoft and Adobe are aware of the problem.

I've posted a request for assistance at one of the private boards here. Hopefully one of the other experts has come across a workaround that I've missed. There are usually a few floating around that not everyone has been made aware of.

I will get back to you with more suggestions as soon as I possibly can. By the way, it would appear that there are many, many people who are less than happy with Vista. Small consolation I'm sure that it always helps to know that you're not alone.. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#22 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

Hi Chris,

I don't have anything new to report as of yet. One thing I might suggest is that, until a solution is found for that problem, download and use Firefox. Not exactly what you wanted to hear, I'm sure that you will be able to play Flash content at your favorite sites.

I will keep you posted. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#23 SpotCheckBilly

SpotCheckBilly

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately,I haven't come across any new information on fixes for this problem. Since I am going to be off-line for a few weeks, I will refer this thread to the moderators so that if someone knows of a fix, they will post it here for you.

Otherwise, I will be back mid to late April and I still have this thread bookmarked. I will definitely check back to see if any progress has been made and/or you are still needing help. :wave:

SCB
IPB ImageIPB Image

- Delbert McClinton
IPB Image

#24 Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

Hello

I will be taking over from Billy as he is away

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • If your anti-virus or firewall complains, please allow this script to run as it is not malicious.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

#25 Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

#26 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,568 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:40 PM

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button