• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 semper

semper

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

hi :whistle: :unsure:

could someone give the deal on the myway portal ? i like the uncluttered and simple look of the site and thought i might switch my main email account over. i am a light email user, and my yahoo account is great but too busy re content and ads..

however looking on wikipedia i saw that that the myway portal as a whole is criticized for employing spyware/adware...i read the footnotes, there seemed to be some debate about the validity of this claim, however aspersions were cast about the way some aspects of the portal had been added to other programs without user choice, giving the sense that the myway thing as a whole should be avoided, although previously a great service....

but all these references are 3 years old and i wondered what the situation is now........

i use a mac so am not at all up on spyware etc, it never seems to have been an issue. i think it means i also cannot use parts of the portal, such as the speedbar and search bar, and it seems that these are the bits that are being criticized..

if i make use of the email account and the myway homepage am i at risk of anything negative occuring...what about using the other bits...?

is there a moral case, in that the spyware issue with myway is not too serious but the policy behind its usage is dubious, as one of the wikipedia footnotes suggests...

thanks in advance for the help...i know little about this so will really appreciate all help given... :scratchhead:

cheers :thumbup:

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

What you read is essentially up to date... Debate goes back and forth, but from the perspective of someone who works on infected computers, I have seen it cause problems and make itself difficult to remove... I would not allow it on my computer no matter what OS...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 semper

semper

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

if i just used the email account and maybe the mypage, would that be safe?

Edited by semper, 27 March 2008 - 09:20 AM.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

I don't know that it is unsafe either way, but I would not put it on my computer... There are several similar alternatives out there that don't come with the same garbage, why not use one of them??
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 semper

semper

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

thanks for your advice, i will heed it...i just liked the simple look and layout of the page/portal...but it obviously isn't worth the hassle..

#6 lvsunz

lvsunz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

I don't know that it is unsafe either way, but I would not put it on my computer... There are several similar alternatives out there that don't come with the same garbage, why not use one of them??

Could you please suggest/recommend alternatives? Thank you.

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:47 AM

For the email?? There is Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and a whole bunch of others... Many local groups offer free web email to get you to visit their pages and look at their ads... Most of them have a homepage with a simple, but ad covered, interface...

It is also likely that your Internet service provider offers some kind of email service...
Budfred

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button