• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikepossy

mikepossy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hi..

I am in a bit of paranoid... what i want to ask for is can we have 2 firewall at a time..

And will it be fine to use both of them for their individual selected support option rather than implementing them as a whole

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

You can install as many as you like, but if you run more than one at a time, you will be more vulnerable than you were with only one... Firewalls have one main function - to regulate incoming and outgoing traffic on your PC... If you 2 are trying to do that at the same time, you will have conflicts and they may actually crash your system... Some will not even run if another one is already running...

The keys to good protection are explained in the article linked at the top of each page: "So how did I get infected in the first place?"... Read that for a clear idea of how to protect yourself... It comes down to a good resident antivirus, antispyware and firewall... If you run 2 resident programs of the same type, it is more likely they will conflict and provide less protection... It also is about where you go and the decisions you make about opening links/attachments... If you open an attachment in an email that you weren't expecting, it is quite possible that all that protection will do you no good... And it is about keeping security updates up to date... Most of the worst infections exploit vulnerabilities that have already been patched...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 mikepossy

mikepossy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

You can install as many as you like, but if you run more than one at a time, you will be more vulnerable than you were with only one... Firewalls have one main function - to regulate incoming and outgoing traffic on your PC... If you 2 are trying to do that at the same time, you will have conflicts and they may actually crash your system... Some will not even run if another one is already running...

The keys to good protection are explained in the article linked at the top of each page: "So how did I get infected in the first place?"... Read that for a clear idea of how to protect yourself... It comes down to a good resident antivirus, antispyware and firewall... If you run 2 resident programs of the same type, it is more likely they will conflict and provide less protection... It also is about where you go and the decisions you make about opening links/attachments... If you open an attachment in an email that you weren't expecting, it is quite possible that all that protection will do you no good... And it is about keeping security updates up to date... Most of the worst infections exploit vulnerabilities that have already been patched...

Budfred thanks for you response.. I got some of your points..

But what i want to get to know is that is there any thing by which i can extract and use two of the features at a same for the best of them.. what i am talking about is there any way to integrate the best features among combined to perform together...

And but obvious when i say that i dont want any System Hang/Crashes

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:45 AM

That would depend on what features the firewalls have and how they work... A basic firewall just monitors/blocks traffic in and out of your computer... Different firewalls have added other features to help market them, but you would need to look at the install procedure to see if it can be customized or if it allows selective use of tools when it is installed... Most probably do, but there are usually easier ways to get the features you want...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 mikepossy

mikepossy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:42 AM

That would depend on what features the firewalls have and how they work... A basic firewall just monitors/blocks traffic in and out of your computer... Different firewalls have added other features to help market them, but you would need to look at the install procedure to see if it can be customized or if it allows selective use of tools when it is installed... Most probably do, but there are usually easier ways to get the features you want...

Thanks BUDFRED for all your views and getting the things simplified the way you have described about all the issues...

I will look forward to all such great response from you all the way out...

#6 johnpeterson1982

johnpeterson1982

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:39 AM

A firewall can protect you from a dangerous incoming connection from the internet it can also protect you against outgoing ones.

The Windows Firewall on XP ONLY protects you against incoming threats.

The Vista version however protects against outgoing ones as well.

Kaspersky are a highly respected company their firewall protects agaisnt both incoming and outgoing threats & has additional features providing protection against hackers, spam, spyware, and viruses.

regards
________________________________________________________________________________

john

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:37 AM

johnpeterson1982,

This topic is more than a year old and it is doubtful the original poster is still looking for an answer... Additionally, the answer you gave has nothing to do with the question asked... And while Kaspersky is generally a good company, there are a number of free firewalls available that are just as good...
Budfred

#8 sandra lora

sandra lora

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

No it's not ok to have two firewalls on your computer. Turn off windows firewall. You decided to use Webroot for your security, so use all of it. It should also do a better job than Windows, since it will give you a two way firewall. Windows is only a one way firewall.

#9 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,462 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

sandra lora, did you notice that you replied to a 4 year old topic where the original posted is long gone? Also, the information you posted is not accurate. Windows has had a 2 way firewall since Vista.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button