20 replies to this topic

#1 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

This is a subject not broached often.....perhaps it should be. This is total lack of respect, total inavasion of privacy, vandalism, and many other things. To take advantage of someone as challenged as my uncle is makes my blood boil! Spread the word so others can beware.

http://teacup61.word...eing-cared-for/
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:00 AM

That's really disgusting, I'm not sure I would have been as tolerant as you. So much for the 'supervised' part! :hmmm:
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:46 AM

If I were you, I would forward this to CNN and a few other National news agencies.

Chances are, after reading your Blog, they'll do some more looking into this nationally and they might even interview you reguarding this issue.

- Excuse the Writing, I've Got a Dyslexic Keyboard

#4 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

It wasn't up to me in the end, or I would not have been so nice about it. My dad is his legal guardian. Yes, it would seem the 'supervision' needed supervising. :techsupport:
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Juliet

Juliet

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

I found someone’s personal journal (Names included!), a resume done by someone else (Names included!),

I'd be wanting to meet that guy/woman personally....No, I would not be nice, ya'll got no idea what temper is till you see mine.

All this was presented to the case worker today and she was appalled.

By chance, it wasn't this person was it?

Why wait for them to do something....if they do.
Slap that guy's ugly a$$ with a lawsuit.!!...
Go to the newspapers, let them get ahold of this, even better go to the local TV station, they love things like this.
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings

#6 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

Well you're the second one just in this thread that says I should. I don't tend to think in those terms, but the more I think about it and the more comments I'm seeing I think maybe it should be out there. More people should be warned and on the look out. How many other families is this happening to that just don't know? If not for the training I got here I probably would not have known! Just to be clear, I see a broader picture here....this happens to involve a computer, but people get things stolen all the time. Clothes, radios, even food snacks. :hmmm:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Juliet

Juliet

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

Theres something your forgetting....
What if:
There had been some types of financial transactions on this computer (thank goodness there wasn't)
Look at the identity that could be stolen, not to mention the money.

And btw, you have more temper then I ever dreamed of.....so get in there and get going!
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings

#8 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

I think you should at least take some legal advice on this, if only to help prevent it happening to someone else. The problem being, most people would understand if money/jewellery/possessions had been stolen or abused, but computers are a different ball-game, a lot of people don't understand the implications of computer abuse.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#9 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

Just think if the RIAA or the MPIA or others had gotten involved, then think of the legal batttle your father would be in trying to straighten things out.

You really should break this to CNN so they can dig into this some more just to see how wide sread this problem may be.

Even better, Good Morning America might be a better idea as they seem to really go after people more than CNN does, then once they get done, CNN tends to pick up the pieces.

To broaden your perspective a bit, it's very possible that your involvement in this, that is to say, in these forums which enabled you to recognize the problem with his computer and fix it, may even bring more public attention to the fight against spyware and all that parasitic crap. The end result could possibly mean more sponsorship funding of these forums and other ASAP member forums to help in the fight. It could very well cause a cascading ripple effect. :)

So I say you really should just go for it.

#10 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

I've gone ahead and contacted a few news papers and such......I have no idea if I've done it wrong or right, but I have done it.

The end result could possibly mean more sponsorship funding of these forums and other ASAP member forums to help in the fight. It could very well cause a cascading ripple effect.

Please feel free to use this in any you'd like, to that end!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

Good Luck with this. :)

BTW...

Just make sure the big guys (GMA, CNN) get this cause at least they can make sure that this gets enough coverage so there is no backlash from the agencies involved.

#12 Fire Vortex

Fire Vortex

Blogger And RPG Gamer, Malware Hater and Mac Supporter.

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

Hmm, its sad that wordpress doesn't work where I live... :| They blocked it here.
Posted Image Things I use: Firefox, Firefox Portable.

#13 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,468 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

If something is not done to officially make the company/organization' management sit up and take notice, the people involved will do it again. Maybe not to your Uncle, but to someone else's relative

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#14 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

Yes, you're so right....officially though my hands are tied as my dad, his brother, is legal guardian. He has demanded a written report from the company within 60 days, so I suppose it'll be after that time is up that anything else is said. I worked in nursing homes for a number of years, and the same HIPPA rules apply here, so perhaps a call to an ombudsman might make them take a little more care as well. :rolleyes: I really don't want this to happen to any more people than it already is. I know he isn't the only resident with a computer, and it doesn't just happen with computers.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

Then to get your father to sit up and take this a little more seriously, showhim these forums, what goes on here and open his eyes by showing him the Security Warnings forum threads so he'll see exactly what's out there.

After that, show him this thread so he'll know just how serious this issue is and hopefully your hands will no longer be tied any more.

#16 Fire Vortex

Fire Vortex

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hey guys tell me if this article goes on another website. I can't access Wordpress... Thanks. :)

#17 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,468 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Here's the cached Google version:
http://64.233.169.10...eing-cared-for/

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#18 Jacee

Jacee

Forum Deity

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

tea, my husband's Dad had a situation somewhat like this...except he didn't even have a computer! His credit card number was stolen somewhere between the caregivers and the online order of medical perscriptions.

We received bills for a new camera and flowers, then a couple of other $400 orders that we know he couldn't have placed by himself!

It's a mean world that we live in. Just because a person is no longer able to take care of themselves, does not mean that they should be taken advantage of by their care givers :!:

I'm as furious as you are. :grrr:

MS MVP Windows-Security 2006~2016

#19 Fire Vortex

Fire Vortex

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:19 AM

Finally I understand! That is CRAZY!!!! I can't believe it... I am so furious that... I am furious...

No joke intended.

#20 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the support. :wub: I still haven't heard anything from the company, but it's time we did. I think I'll say a little something to push things along. Where's that shifty smiley.....it's very fitting about now. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the support. :wub: I still haven't heard anything from the company, but it's time we did. I think I'll say a little something to push things along. Where's that shifty smiley.....it's very fitting about now. :rolleyes:

Hi tea,

Good luck pursuing this...

It is absolutely scandalous that anyone should be allowed to get away with it!!!

:grrr:
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button