41 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

CEO - Chief Elvish Officer

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

This is the hardest post I will ever have to make.

On May 29th a wonderful man passed. He was a geek at heart, he was a member here for the longest time. He was involved in security forums all over ever since Becky's. He was a friend to many. He was also my husband. I miss him. This post is my way of dealing with his passing and also my way to spread the word. I didn't know where to post this so I thought this was as good a place as any.

He fought a long battle against lung cancer. Until the very end, he fought. He never quit. Like everything else he did in his life, he gave it all his energy. Unfortunately it was a losing battle.

He was a private man, and he didn't wish to burden anyone with news of his illness, so he fought silently. Now that he has passed the time has come for me to let his many friends know how much he enjoyed interacting and working with you.

A great man is gone from this world, but to his many friends, his family and everyone who ever met him, his spirit, his sense of humor, his kindness and willingness to help will forever remain in all our hearts.

Blacksheep, I love you. May God take care of you.
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

RIP Blacksheep - I love you!

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

I knew Blacksheep only through Chat, but surely he was an exceptionally fine man. Anything we can do for you other than a heartfelt hug at this so sad time?
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

I knew Blacksheep only through Chat, but surely he was an exceptionally fine man. Anything we can do for you other than a heartfelt hug at this so sad time?

I really don't know. I am still trying to cope. I just wanted to let his friends know because he deserved to be remembered. I don't know if I'll be online any in the near future and I wanted to do this. I appreciate the offer, but I don't think there is much that can be done at this point. Just knowing his friends cared is good.

EDIT - Actually, if any of his friends read this and know of a place to spread the word so more of his friends can be reached that would be great. I know he was Half Operator on the wyldryde network for a while and his now defunct channel (#wyld) was frequented by a lot of people.
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

Sad news... I am sad for you and sad for the loss of a good man... He will be remembered...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Atribune

Atribune

SWI Junkie

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:32 PM

Gal, I'm sorry I missed you in chat earlier, I heard from PurpleTeddy about this, if there is anything I can do to help you let me know, my heartfelt condolences go to you and yours. Blacksheep was one of the greatest people I ever met online. He will be missed.

Dave / Atri

#6 therock247uk

therock247uk

247fixes.com

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

I don't what to say im so sorry. :(

#7 IAMSKINZ

IAMSKINZ

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

BlackSheep will be missed by me in only one way...
I will not be able to converse with him no more and for that I cry.
One of the best of us has gone home.
I will say this tho, His power and contributions will never pass.
He has not fallen in my eyes, cause he will be forever high in my heart as not only a friend, but a mentor to many.
As I have posted otherWarePlaces.......

I love that man known as BlackSheep and I always will.

IAMSKINZ

#8 Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

Galadriel,

I wish there were words to relieve your pain and loss. I am afraid that all we can do is let folks know that Blacksheep was a respected member of the security community and an original member of the Admin Council for ASAP. Without question, Blacksheep's involvement in the creation of the ASAP Charter was most valuable.

{{{HUGS}}}

Corrine

Forum%20Sig_zpsjw5k8xhn.jpg

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#9 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

Dave, rocky, Jerry, Corrine

Thank you much for the kind words. He was indeed very passionate about this subject. He deeply cared for all of the people fighting this good fight. It brought all of us together and because of that, we have grown in many ways.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

#10 ipl_001

ipl_001

Security Admin at Zebulon.fr

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Je suis très attristé par ces mots !

Bon courage à toi, Galadriel!

~~ edit to erase Galadriel's first name

Edited by ipl_001, 31 May 2008 - 02:06 PM.

Gérard MS_MVP-1.gif asap2.gif Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred
Has SWI saved your system? Please, consider making a donation!

#11 tashi

tashi

Forum Deity

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Gal, my deepest condolences and {{HUGS}}

He was indeed very passionate about this subject. He deeply cared for all of the people fighting this good fight. It brought all of us together and because of that, we have grown in many ways.

Aside from on-line where he taught this irc noob how to do things back in 2003-4 (he was always there ready to help), I spoke to Blacksheep on the phone a couple of times back in the old days.

Softly spoken, his cause shining, he cared deeply for the well being of our community.

Fare thee well Blacksheep, held close in our hearts.

Microsoft MVP~Consumer Security

#12 sari

sari

Domestic goddess of spyware

• Ambassador
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

Tiger,

You and Blacksheep were among the first people I met when I joined this community 4 years ago. He was indeed a quiet but influential force who will be missed by many, though I know none of us feel his loss as profoundly as you do. Though I know you didn't have as much time with him as you wanted, I hope you can take comfort from the fact that you had someone like that in your life, and the joy you had with him will be in your heart always.

You are in my thoughts,

Sari
No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#13 ccmike

ccmike

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

Blacksheep will be missed, but more than bieing missed he will be rememberd, kept close in thoghts and prayers.

My deepest condolences go out to you in this time of sorrow

CCMike

#14 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

I am so so sorry for your loss. You are (both) in my thoughts.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#15 ~Mark

~Mark

SWI Junkie

• Security Colleague
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

Very sad news indeed...

You will be in my thoughts.

Mes sincères sympathies à toi, aux membres de vos familles et amis..

Mark

#16 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

It's sad to see a member of our community pass on.
You will both be in my prayers, Galadriel.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#17 Metallica

Metallica

Forum Deity

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Blacksheep will be remembered.

He was an example to many, without maybe even knowing it.
He will live on in our spirit and the fight against malware.

MVP Windows Security 2003-2015 mvp2.gif

Remove and prevent spyware

#18 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I am sorry for your loss.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#19 Jacee

Jacee

Forum Deity

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Galadriel, as I said before on another forum, my prayers are with you and your family at this time.
From my heart, big {{{hugs}}}

MS MVP Windows-Security 2006~2016

#20 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

Dear Galadriel,

I am so very sorry to read your news... Attached File  emo_cry.gif   6.64KB   4 downloads

I will certainly remember Blacksheep with the deepest respect and affection! Our community is diminished by his passing and he will always be sorely missed.

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers...

{{{HUGS}}}
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#21 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

BlackSheep - Wolf.

I pray that Gods hands will hold you up, good and faithful friend.

Please shine on us from above, that are left to morn.

RIP

=======

Gal.

I pray for you too.

May the God of peace, help you in your time of need. I pray that you will see the outpouring of the love of this community, that you will see it pour though cyber space to give you the {{{Hugs}}} that you need, to give you strength for the coming weeks.

God be with you my friend.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#22 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

Hey Gal, I'm so sorry for your loss as well as our own here in the community he helped start so long ago.

As you probably know, I've spent many hours in disscussion and debate with him going back about a decade now. He was quite the fixture at both Becky and VOP and helped so much bringing the difference between hype and truth to the common user.

He will indeed be missed.

#23 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

ipl_001, ~Mark, merci du fond du coeur. Savoir que cette communauté est si proche soulage en partie ma souffrance...

tashi, he was indeed quite a mentor. Always ready to help out if he could. And he had a DJ's voice! ;) I loved listening to him. I so miss that...

sari, I wish I had had an eternity... but I am so glad to have been a part of his life for this period. My soul was enriched in more ways than one. And he will live on in my heart and the many memories we made...

ccmike, jedi, TheJoker, Dave, Jacee, Chancellor your words mean a lot to me right now.

Pieter, you are so right! I don't think he had a clue how much he influenced a lot of people.

ChrisRLG, thank you much for the prayers. I know God is with him and he is in a better place and watching over us.

mikey, I don't know what to say. Thank you. He loved Becky's and the atmosphere there. He worked so hard with everyone and just gobbled up all the info he could find and just got involved like many of us did. He just did it a long time before most of the members here... ;) He would often talk to me about it and about Brian... and everything going on at the time. What a resource that man was. He had so many stories to share, I wish I could have heard all of em...

#24 Maddoktor2

Maddoktor2

this space for rent

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Gal, I am so, so sorry - there's so much to say and so many memories to recount, but I'm at a loss for words and the keyboard's a bit blurry right now... :weep:
Posted Image Posted Image

*Dok's Law*: The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.

#25 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Dok, thank you. He really enjoyed working with all of you... I know he missed it.
The attached image was his avatar for a long time... I think it was Brian that made it for him. I always loved it and thought it so captured who he was.

Attached Files

• Attached File  bs.gif   10.71KB   10 downloads

#26 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

we may have had our differences near the end of the chat era,

but i still remember being up till 5am countless times; and blacksheep and maybe one other being the only ones up helping people literally at all times of the day.

r.i.p

#27 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

Zero, from the bottom of my heart, Thank you. God Bless.

#28 Kat

Kat

Princess Kitty

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

oh Gal. Words completely fail me right now. I cannot begin to imagine the empty hole in your heart right now, nor will I pretend to. I do understand what it's like to watch someone you love pass from that horrible, stupid disease. You tell yourself you're "ready" when their time comes. I found out the hard way that you never truly are.

When I first came to SWIs chat back in the fall of 2003, you and BS were two of the first people I met, along with Zero and Rocky. I remember the first days, idling and watching, afraid to talk. BS was actually the first person who got me to chat. Look at the monster he created! ;-) His way of talking to people and drawing them out was truly a gift.

My heart goes out to you, sweetie, and my thoughts are with you. I know everyone here would agree with me, and many have already told you: If there is ANYTHING you need, you know where to find us all. Whether it's a hand to hold virtually, an ear to scream and curse into on the phone at 4am, or just someone to read as you pour out your heart... this entire community is ready and willing to do anything we possibly can.

*HUGS* and love to you

#29 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

I haven't been around much lately, but was here alot in the "early days." This site was truly inspirational for me and I remember blacksheep's help for me personally and for so, so many others. He is missed!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#30 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Thank you Kat. I'll never forget when I first started on IRC. I had this annoying script on that when I was away, if someone wrote my name in chat, it would send a pm. I had no idea... When Tom told me about it and gently asked for me to turn it off, I did and they tested. BS was there in the room and I suppose he tested it too. Then he said: "*BS takes finger off kick button... ;)"
I'll never forget that... he always made everyone feel comfortable and was definitely a crusader for justice.
I have so many memories... he'll live on through them.

wreck, I remember ya! Been a long time. Thank you for the kind words. :)

#31 dgosling

dgosling

• Ambassador
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

Blacksheep was a wonderful person and I know you had much too short a time together but I'm sure he is still with you despite the fact you can no longer see him. Gal you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and tho I am late posting this you know I am thinking of you at this time of loss. Keep the faith my friend, you know where I am if you need anything {{{{BIG HUG}}}}
May Blacksheep aka wolf RIP
<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2007<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Proud Member of <a href="http://www.asap.maddoktor2.com" target="_blank">ASAP Since 2004</a> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#32 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

Dorothy, thank you. He is indeed with me. I can feel him lingering close by and keeping an eye out for me.

Big hugs to you too D, I'll keep you in my thoughts also.

#33 Bobby

Bobby

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

Dear Galadriel,

I haven't been here in a long time but something compelled me to come here today and within minutes I found this thread. I've been staring at the screen for a long time.

I remember those days in the beginning and how much I learned from this community. It's been a while since I've been here and the names seem to have faded as my memory gets older.

I believe that your husband has made a difference in my life and therefore lives on in my heart and memory and in the hearts and memory of others he has touched.

I am deeply saddened by your loss.

Respectfully,
Bobby H.

#34 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

I came by just to see what was going on, and it's unfortunate that this had to happen. Sort of a lack of words for this. I wish you all the best of luck in the future.
Rights are never important until you don't have them.

#35 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thank you for the kind words Bobby and Archon_Wing!

#36 Guest_eXaByTe_*

Guest_eXaByTe_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

This is terrible news... I'm so sorry... :gasp:

#37 mjc

mjc

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

I haven't been around much lately.

Budfred told me today.

My condolences.
“When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

#38 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Thank you mjc. It's really nice to see you, although I wish the circumstances were different...

#39 OSC

OSC

SWI Junkie

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

BS was always good to me and he will be missed. Gal, I'm so sorry for your loss.

#40 blender

blender

Advanced Member

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

BlackSheep helped many and inspired many.
Through thick & thin he Never gave up!
He will be missed by many but never forgotten.

My thoughts & prayers are with you Gal,

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Tammy/Blender
I Never Give Up!

#41 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

Thanks OSC. We have a lot of memories. Those will remain.

Tammy, you got that right. He never quit. His favorite saying was Illegitimi non carborundum and it fits well with who he was.

This image also was a favorite of his and mine

For some reason I can't insert the image itself, must be some security measure, so I linked instead.

Thanks again to everyone, I don't know how to express my gratitude for the support you all have given me in this very hard time.

#42 NonSuch

NonSuch

Spyware Eradicator!

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

I am so very sorry to hear of your terrible loss, Galadriel. May God be with you and bring you comfort in your time of sorrow. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button