8 replies to this topic

#1 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

In 2001 there was an enormous thread about Xupiter. In those days all members and guests could post anywhere they felt like, and the thread had many different people's problems in it. It also had many different members and guests posting suggestions in it, and eventually it had over 32,000 views. The chaos prompted Mike to create the Expert group - in 2002 I think - and to give the Experts a private forum, so that they didn't need to carry on their discussions in the public thread.

Xupiter is said to have died in 2003 - http://www.spywarein...ves/0903/16.php

Lop lasted a lot longer. http://www.spywarein...m/articles/lop/
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#2 teacup61

teacup61

RIP

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

LOP is still around, as we all know. As a matter of fact, either I'm just getting "lucky" or there is a noticeable increase in cases of LOP recently. :unsure:
My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

CEO - Chief Elvish Officer

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

LOP is still around, as we all know.

Hehe... LOP is what got me here in the first place! Always had a soft spot for em....

As a matter of fact, either I'm just getting "lucky" or there is a noticeable increase in cases of LOP recently. :unsure:

It's gotta be because of summer break from school and all the Messenger Plus installs there undoubtedly are. :p
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

RIP Blacksheep - I love you!

#4 ipl_001

ipl_001

Security Admin at Zebulon.fr

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

Oh yes!

And who was that bl...y guy who created it and was appointed MS-MVP for a few days in 2006, I don't remember his name?

~~ edit:
I answer my own question:

Patchou is the guy!!

-> Adware Pusher an MS MVP?!?!?!?!?!!!! by TeMerc Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:31 am

Edited by ipl_001, 26 July 2008 - 01:55 PM.

Gérard MS_MVP-1.gif asap2.gif Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred
Has SWI saved your system? Please, consider making a donation!

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

LOL Gérard! Don't get me started on Patchou!!! ROFL
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

#6 Metallica

Metallica

Forum Deity

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

LOL. LOP brought me here too. :)
Only in slightly different way.

I was helping on a Dutch forum (mainly browser problems) where I admired the work of two guys that had all the answers.
One of them unfortunately died much too young and the other is known all over the web (except for that Dutch forum) as TonyKlein.

When I encountered the first random-named hijacker (LOP), I followed Tony's trail to this place called SWI to learn about HijackThis.
I learned heaps from the Experts at that forum and almost fell of my chair when they invited me into their midst. There I admired the work of two ladies that could make an answer if there wasn't one available.

That is why C2Media will always have a special place in my crosshairs. :bangbang:

MVP Windows Security 2003-2015 mvp2.gif

Remove and prevent spyware

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

:techsupport:

Remember all the 4 letter domains? The one that eventually got me here was tjar. I'll never forget it. :bangbang:

#8 Metallica

Metallica

Forum Deity

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

:techsupport:

Remember all the 4 letter domains? The one that eventually got me here was tjar. I'll never forget it. :bangbang:

Did you know they still exist?
http://tjar.com/searchbar.html

MVP Windows Security 2003-2015 mvp2.gif

Remove and prevent spyware

#9 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

Did you know they still exist?
http://tjar.com/searchbar.html

OMG! I always thought those were shut down?!!!? Jesus!

Created: 2000-02-04
Expires: 2009-02-04
Updated: 2008-01-06
Registrar Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrar Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Name Server: NS1.LOP.COM (has 53 domains)
Name Server: NS2.LOP.COM

Server Type: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
IP Address: 66.220.17.235 [Whois] [Reverse-Ip] [Ping] [DNS Lookup] [Traceroute]
IP Location United States - Florida - Shalimar - C2 Media Ltd
Response Code: 200
Domain Status: Registered And Active Website

I had no idea. Never thought to do a lookup. :rolleyes:

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button