Photo

OPASERV / scrsvr.exe (September 30, 2002)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ipl_001

ipl_001

Security Admin at Zebulon.fr

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi everyone,

Maybe, you're going to laugh (at me)!

In 2002 (yes, long ago), I was posting rather intensely on the Windows 95/98 section of Computing.Net, a board I like very much and which taught me a lot: I discovered who Americans were and what Am. generosity and community meant!

I want to tell you about OPASERV / scrsvr.exe.

On September 30, 2002, one then two then several people posted about one of these nasties that hit their systems!
Mesich, a forum regular, was responding and helping (as we used to do every day) on the subject...
I don't know if Google was indexing very fast but then it was more and more people coming for help on this same subject... people were coming from everywhere in the world and posting in several languages!

Mesich spent his nights helping everyone! Very moving!

You will find some of the threads I'm speaking about:

-> scrsvr.exe (73 posts from Sept.30 to Oct.24)

-> Scrsvr.exe - Opasrv worm (94 posts from Oct.2 to Nov.26)

-> ScrSvr.exe (15 posts from Oct.4 to Nov.19)

-> new Virus W32.Opaserv.Worm Mesich? (5 posts from Oct.7 to Oct.8)

-> The ultimate opaserv fix!! (31 posts from Nov.17 to Dec.17)

-> Mesich's "Canned"
-> Security Response's Removal Tool
-> F-Secure's solution
With posts like this one:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been battling this worm for nearly 3 months

(Response #30)

I don't know if you remember this malware!

Computing.Net is a forum from which we got suzi, Greyknight (as KEVIN), ipl_001 (as Frenchie)...
Gérard MS_MVP-1.gif asap2.gif Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred
Has SWI saved your system? Please, consider making a donation!

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

Google is blocking Mesich site: http://www.mesich.co...tml?page=scrsvr

Better tell them if they don't already know - apparently site is infected - http://safebrowsing....tml?page=scrsvr
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 ipl_001

ipl_001

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

Hi cnm,

Thanks for the lines!
I saw the problem when I wrote my post then forgot!
Thanks for your lines, I will send him an email: that will be a good opportunity to discuss again after some years! ;)
Gérard MS_MVP-1.gif asap2.gif Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

CEO - Chief Elvish Officer

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

Computing.Net is a forum from which we got suzi, Greyknight (as KEVIN), ipl_001 (as Frenchie)...

:lol: I used that nickname at Gladiator a long time ago.... my usual nick was *gasp* taken and I needed to register. :rant:
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

RIP Blacksheep - I love you!

#5 ipl_001

ipl_001

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi Galadriel, hi everyone,

Sorry for having taken "your" nick! :lol:
I used this Frenchie nick on Computing.Net only and I registered there on November 21, 2001.

I used it because it was the first time I registered to an American forum and I didn't want anyone to be too harsh due to my poor language!
Nobody was ever unpleasant except a guy who wrote he thought everyone in France was a girl as we liked tennis and we played soccer! LOL

#6 ipl_001

ipl_001

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hi cnm, Galadriel,

In my initial message, I wrote about people posting from oodles of countries and Mesich who was responding!

I wonder if I'm not mixing several events because I just found a wonderful thread Msnp32.dll of 78 posts from Jan.26, 2002 to July 22, 2002 and I ended teh series by:

Response Number 77

Name: Frenchie
Date: July 22, 2002 at 11:47:13 Pacific
Subject: Msnp32.dll

Hi Mesich, hi all,
Mesich... I don't have that MSnp32.dll problem but coundn't help adding these words!

I don't know why I recorded this thread in "My Computing.Net list" but it was always blue!

I don't record any statistics but I think it's the most wonderful thread I've ever seen!
77 messages! January 26 for the first one!
Perhaps 50 people writing "Thank you" from Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, etc.

It seems Google provided many people with this thread.

Even if you wrote "... Read elsewhere this worked", congratulations to you!

You are a wonderful guy!

Even if I don't have that Msnp32.dll issue... Thanks a lot, Mesich!

Enjoy your day,
G�rard from Paris, France

P.S.: Thanks to Justin too for managing these site and forums!
Thanks also to so many people "making" these forums as they are!

But then, the discussion went on with another thread!

I must explain that Computing.Net was "Founded in February of 1996" by Justin Weber and, of course was a proprietary developed board.
The threads were not sorted by order of the most recent post... the threads were not going up to the list when someone posted and that's why helpers were usually alone (except if they asked for help) as threads were going down and we couln't see easily that there were many posts!... Not easy!

Reading this thread above, maybe you understand why I wrote (initial post of this thread) that Computing.Net taught me a lot about American community and generosity! I was really amazed!
We were not allowed to post non technical lines, Justin was removing them... except in special cases!
Pilar members were very close and we met again last year (after years here and there) when a 70-year-old member went on "retirement" -> http://www.computing...-go/169645.html

I was posting on the Win95/98 section and Mesich as well... I wonder why Mesich (Mesich Duncan) didn't come to our Security boards... I found tracks on ComputerVitals , TechGuy, TechIMO

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!