Virutstotal website

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snoopinc

snoopinc

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

I would like to know if virutstotal.com is a safe website. My friend identified it as it using Mpack script. I have heard that Mpack is a malware php script. I wasn't meant to go to that site but instead made a typo of the legit site virustotal.com.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:45 AM

I would like to know if virutstotal.com is a safe website. My friend identified it as it using Mpack script. I have heard that Mpack is a malware php script. I wasn't meant to go to that site but instead made a typo of the legit site virustotal.com.

Sites that spoof other sites names are almost always scams... I don't particularly want to go there to test it myself since it is highly likely it is dangerous... It is a good idea to Copy/Paste addresses like this so that you are less likely to use the wrong one... Use almost any common address with a letter or two off and you could end up cleaning malware for a while...

It would probably be a good idea to read the FAQ and post a log in Malware Removal...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 snoopinc

snoopinc

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:32 AM

I ran some scans with norton antivirus, windows defender, ad-aware, hijackthis, spybot sd and comodo's file scanner. Nothing was found at all. I am probably just over exaggerating that the site was unsafe as it is probably just a typo parking page.

The actual site itself looks similar to google's layout/design except its links are ads.

I tried trying to see if it was Mpack but i couldn't seem to find the vital files for it to run. I personally think it is not Mpack script. The site has /home.php and /go.php.

Edited by snoopinc, 12 August 2008 - 03:32 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button