Messenger Plus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snoopinc

snoopinc

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:19 AM

Is this messenger plus - http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/ safe?

Does it have any malware with it?

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

It is descended from the same program which installed LOP, so it is likely that it also contains malware -- I would not install it on my computer...

Are you planning on following up on the SWI Bot message in your open topic?? If not, I will close it... However, given this and your other recent question, I suggest you follow up...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:21 AM

I would not touch anything from that author (patchou). The same author has long been known for adding malware to Messenger Plus 3. They refer to is as their optional "sponsor" software, and if you install it you unknowingly end up with the LOP parasite.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#4 msconfig

msconfig

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

I installed "Messenger Plus!", and said no to the sponsor program, and there's no malware on my computer.
But if you want to be 100% sure, don't install it.
THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
-iTunes License Agreement.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button