9 replies to this topic

#1 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

Our owner Mike was last heard from exactly two years ago today: September 6, 2006 was the date of his final newsletter. http://www.spywarein...s/2006/sep6.php

Many people have asked what he was like. Mike Healan is a Southerner from Georgia. He was a charismatic leader, a kind, sensitive, thoughtful man with a temper and a sense of humor. Strong opinions and strong principles.

One way to know him a little is to read the old newsletters. All the newsletters are archived here: http://www.spywarein...etter/archives/. A word of warning: some of the newsletters, and also the main site http://www.spywareinfoforum.info, have PayPal links. We don't know what happens to any money that goes to that PayPal account. (It's doubtful that Mike collects it, since there is no evidence of him anywhere). So if you would like to support us, please use the PayPal button in the forum.

The very first newsletter is http://www.spywarein...2/03082002.html.

In this one, Mike got blacklisted by SpamCop and went into action. http://www.spywarein...2/06142002.html. Page down to his <Rant>. His 20,000 subscribed readers and the 100,000 or so who read the newsletter online loved his rants. I've made a list below of the newsletters that have rants.

The newsletters at first contained ads. The later ones have promotions for software, with discounts offered on the main site; thanks to Noggie who set up the promotion arrangements, these provided a good income for Mike. At one point it made enough money for him to live on. He was very pleased about that - I don't think he ever had an actual job.

But when he felt he had to do the right thing and stop listing Aluria http://www.spywarein...#aluriaandwhenu he lost a lot of income. I remember him saying $3000. That must have been hard to do.

Mike fights the DDoS in 2004: http://www.spywarein...ves/0204/25.php

This one caused some controversy: http://www.spywarein.../2006/jan17.php. Mike advocates VM Ware as total protection against all malware. "Stop cleaning your glasses - you read that title right. There is a way now to surf the web with absolute, unbreakable safety. It is very simple to do." In the next newsletter he explains how to share files between the Browser Appliance and your real PC: http://www.spywarein.../2006/jan27.php

I've enjoyed looking through these old words of Mike's. I still miss him very much.

Newsletters that have rants (look for <Rant>):
http://www.spywarein...etter/archives/
0104/6.php
0104/6.email.txt
0104/6.email.html
0704/13.php
0803/26.php
0903/30.php
1103/18.php
1103/25.php
1203/2.php
1204/1.php
1204/10.php
2005/oct13.php
2005/sept23.php
2005/oct27.php
2006/aug15.email.html
2006/aug15.php
2006/aug29.php
december-2002/12312002.php
jan-2003/21.php
jan-2003/15.php
jan-2003/29.php
june-2002/06142002.html
june-2002/06282002.html
march-2003/19.php
november-2002/11192002.php
november-2002/11262002.php
september-2002/09262002.html
september-2002/09072002.html

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

CEO - Chief Elvish Officer

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

Many people have asked what he was like. Mike Healan is a Southerner from Georgia. He was a charismatic leader, a kind, sensitive, thoughtful man with a temper and a sense of humor. Strong opinions and strong principles.

I miss him.

Mike, when you read this, if you do, know that I remember and go back to those moments we all had in chat and on the board often. You remain in my thoughts and I do hope that wherever you are, whatever you are doing, you have peace and serenity. And that if you ever need a friend or someone to talk to, I'm here.

When cnm asked if I had some anecdotes to share, I thought I could write some... but I'm having a lot of trouble reading through those old logs, and those newsletters to find the best ones. They bring back a lot of stuff for me. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll be able to go back and reread them...

There is one anecdote I remember though... I'm sure he still remembers it too.

During the ddos attacks, when Mike was fighting to regain control of the website, and try to weed out the offending IPs, he gathered logs of the hits on the site over a certain period. Those logs were studied to pinpoint the worst offenders. For some odd reason, a canadian IP was amongst the top 10 IPs to hit the site. He called the ISP (unknowing that it was one of his mods' IP) and reported the offender. Later on, he found out that the IP in question belonged to me. I got online that day and went to the IRC chat. First thing he said was "Elf! I'm so sorry... =(". I didn't know what he was talking about, so I asked "for what?" He then proceeded to explain to me how I had been reported as being part of the ddos on SWI and that my ISP might shut me down. He was trying to get a hold of the ISP and cancel the report, and I guess he succeeded because I never heard from them. We spent hours trying to figure out why my IP was drawing so much bandwidth. Me, Mike and mjc. It was mjc who found the reason why. (Thank you mjc! You know I owe ya...)
As it turns out, I was using Mozilla as my browser (loved it, was a true Moz fan). I had done an update a couple months prior and we realised that during the update, something was messed up. The cache didn't work. The browser never recreated the cache folder. It didn't exist. So for every page load, everytime I hit the refresh button (and believe me, it was often, I was a moderator and working lots) it would pull every single image, every single css file, everything from the server. Needless to say, that setting was fixed and a bug report filed at mozillazine. But since then, I have set Mozilla aside. I cannot trust it anymore.

But he was so sorry, I'll never forget it. You're a true gentleman Mike. Those of us who had the chance to spend time with you were blessed to know you. Even if you were a brat. :whistle:

Take care my friend. I will be raising my glass for you in 10 days...

Elf
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

RIP Blacksheep - I love you!

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

Happy Birthday my friend!

Thinking of ya.

Posted Image
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

Happy Birthday, Mike, wherever you may be. :)
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#5 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:49 AM

Happy Birthday Mike; here's to peace and tranquility wherever you are. :)

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#6 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Our owner Mike was last heard from exactly two years ago today: September 6, 2006 was the date of his final newsletter. http://www.spywarein...s/2006/sep6.php

I got to know Mike only a little during my first year here at SWI, but even in that short time, formed and enormous amount of respect for him... As cnm has said, Mike is a man of "strong opinions and strong principles" and that's not always an easy path to take in life.

Loved his rants, loved his wit and humour and admired so much what he started here at SWI!

I just wanted to say that I miss seing Mike around here too and wherever he is and whatever he's doing, I hope that he is ok and hope that we will hear from him again.

Have a very 'Happy Birthday' Mike!!!

^_^

Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#7 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

Happy Birthday Mike, wherever you are.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#8 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

Thinking of ya Spydood... have a good one, wherever you are. :drinks:

#9 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

You aren't forgotten. Maybe I'm nuts for posting this every year... but I hope you have a good one Spydood!

#10 Kirstin

Kirstin

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

Mike kindly posted a little poem of mine in his newsletter once... So sorry that there's still no news of him :(

Hope you're alright Mike, wherever you are :give_rose:

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!