5 replies to this topic

#1 drmcneil

drmcneil

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

hi everyone

After reading on the this site that it can actually harm you to use two fire walls at the same time, my question is which one should i use? The two programs that i have that offer fire walls are Norton 360 and Online Armor. I would really appreciate all the impute i could get here.

Thank you

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,431 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

Either one is fine... However, if you have both of them, you probably also have more than one antivirus and possibly more than one antispyware... If you run any two programs in resident mode that provide the same protection, it is likely that you will have less protection, not more... It is a good idea to use one only to run on an 'as needed' basis and use the other resident...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 kismet

kismet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

I would also just like recommending the free version of ZoneAlarm from Checkpoint. I have been using the free version and never had problems with it..you may give it a try..:)

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:55 AM

ZoneAlarm used to be one of the best... They have gotten more bloated and unreliable as they got bigger... I believe they are still installing a toolbar for Yahoo or something if you don't watch closely for it and their support is some of the worst I have encountered on the web... I suggest using any number of other options before going with ZA...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

Out of Norton and Online Armor, I'd recommend Online Armor :)

Whoops, I seem to keep posting in old threads =/

Edited by xblindx, 24 May 2009 - 10:05 AM.

Posted Image
Please help people in need for free by visiting Free Rice
Please use the Posted Image button to post a reply. Do not use the Posted Image button

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,431 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:03 AM

A lot of 'techs' know very little about computer security, unless they have trained with one of the online schools like our Boot Camp... Very few malware fighters have ever recommended Windows Firewall and earlier versions are not good... The Windows Firewall has improved in Vista and Windows 7, but I still prefer to use a different free option... None of the ones we recommend require payment, so the argument about payment is irrelevant in this case - in spite of MS trying to create a monopoly in all things by driving the others out of business with free options... I use Sunbelts firewall, previously known as Kerio, and it runs with no noticeable slowing of the system... Since firewalls rarely require updating, the issue of renewing each year is mostly irrelevant as well...
Budfred

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button