• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 solibytes

solibytes

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

Is it necessary to install a firewall when access to the computer is through a correctly configured ADSL router?

Thanks in advance. :wave:
And there it was - gone!

#2 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

I would have to say that it would have to depend on the capabilities and the level of protection offered by the router in question as to whether or not a firewall would be needed on one's system.

So in the case of your General every day Consumer Routers, I would say that you're best off having a firewall installed on your system.

Some of the other Long time residents here should be able to provide you with information on what firewalls to use and how to configure them or you can just do a bit of browsing through this forum to find the information you need.

- Personally, I'm running just a D-Link DSL-2320B ASDL Modem (no router built in) and a seperate D-Link DGL-4500 Router fw v1.15 with the metal shield removed from under the circuit board to prevent short circuits and I'm using Windows Firewall along with other spyware & such protection.

In another year or so, I intend to replace my router with an IPv6 router "Unless" D-Link releases a firmware update that'll make the DGL-4500 IPv6 capable.

- Excuse the Writing, I've Got a Dyslexic Keyboard

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Certainly a correctly configured router, with both SPI and NAT will give a good deal of protection, but I would always use a software firewall, NOT the windows firewall.
There are several free firewalls to choose from.
My choice at the moment, is [url="http://"http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/"] Sunbelt kerio,[/url] which is easy to configure, and effective. The trial version keeps on working after the 15 day trial period, some features are disabled, but the firewall is unaffected.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

As Dave says, Windows firewall is not really recommended

- For me, it was a Personal choice for several reasons.

1) Didn't feel like installing a third party firewall
2) I enabled Bi-Directional functionality in the windows firewall on my system. (Vista Ultimate)
3) My DGL-4500 router for the most part, functions as a hardware firewall as it has SPI, NAT, ALG and a number of other good features.
4) I have several choice spyware programs and a good AntiVirus installed
5) And it helps that I'm extremely paranoid when it comes to the internet and keeping my system clean.

- Excuse the Writing, I've Got a Dyslexic Keyboard

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,426 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

Even though they have major hardware firewall protection at work, they also install Norton's firewall... I would not run a computer without a software firewall... If it is a laptop, that is especially important since it might be used somewhere that is not protected at all...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 solibytes

solibytes

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:06 AM

I have now installed Kerio firewall.

It is good to know that it is better to install a firewall even with a correctly configured router.

Cheers :thumbup:
And there it was - gone!

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!