• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 taok

taok

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hi,

After my father-in-laws's computer started crashing on IE, I tracked down randomly-named files being stored in the application files folder, with startup entries. Deleting them addressed the problem, for a while, but they came back and started messing things up eventually. By accident, we found out it was a game he had downloaded, "Original Solitaire" (Original-Solitaire.exe) that was creating the adware processes and startup entries every time it ran.

The "source" program and the generated "adware process" were both undetected by spybot S&D, as well as McAffee and AVG.

After that, I realized that these programs do have uninstall entries and do seem to remove themselves relatively cleanly, although the business practice or running an adware process running all the time, without informing the client, in a pattern very reminiscent of a whole family of trojans, is still pretty despicable (in my opinion).

Does anyone know what this adware does? It is supposed to create lots of popups and other straightforward nasties, but I am very concerded it migh have done worse things.
Sorry about the non-specific nature of my post, I'm happy to provide any piece of detail if there is any interest, I'd definitely like to know:
anything anyone can tell me about this company, its practices and what I can help to get them shut down, and
How I can help get these processes listed in SpyBot S&D and/or other adware and virus scanners

Thanks,
Tao

Edited by taok, 22 December 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#2 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

It's definitely malicious, and may have even downloaded itself without consent.

See this link for detailed information about this infection.

If you feel the computer may still have symptoms of infection, please read the FAQ and post the required logs for review by a Helper. :)

-screen317

Edited by screen317, 22 December 2008 - 07:58 PM.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button