jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

http://xkcd.com/528/ :whistle:
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#2 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

:rolleyes:

Can't wait for Windows 7, though to date I have not had a single issue with Vista.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#3 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:12 PM

Just installed Windows 7 on my system tonight as a Dual-Boot system.

It's real Sweet for sure!

Even sweeter is it completely hides the drive for the other Operating system which kinda surprised me. Still got a bit of work to do, going through everything to see what is what and to make sure I have everything that I need for it in the way of drivers and software. As for Anti Virus, I decided to try the Kaspersky Windows 7 Beta software.

Microsoft is still giving out free license keys good through the end of July and you can still download Windows 7

Although I would recommend downloading only from Microsoft as there are plenty of Windows 7 Disk images out there that are loaded with Malware.

- Excuse the Writing, I've Got a Dyslexic Keyboard

#4 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:29 AM

Dragonslore, it would be really good if you could do a full review for us when you have a chance, I'd be interested to hear yours, and others opinions.
I too am looking forward to it, I never installed Vista even though I have a full upgrade disk for Home Premium, as I'm still happy with my XP Pro, though from what I hear a lot of the criticism levelled at it is unfounded.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#5 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Haven't had any time to play with Windows 7 today as I had to run around this morning to take care of a few things. :(

The installation is simple and straight forward, it couldn't get any easier! Just make sure you perform a Full Backup before installing

Then seeing as this is just a Beta and that you're going to want to play around with it a bit, you can use an external drive (preferably eSATA) or if you have room, Resize the primary partition on your Hard drive. In Windows XP, you'll want to use gPart to do the job. In Windows Vista, just select the drive, right click and select Resize partition.

From what I've read of other reviews, Windows 7 is a bit fussy and has problems with partitioning done with Acronis. At least that is what I have seen so far.

At this point, I assume that you will have a DVD that you will have created from an image obtained directed from Microsoft and you'll also have a software key. Insert the DVD in the Drive, then reboot the system to the DVD.

Once the Installation starts, select Custom/Advanced User Installation, then the next screen will ask you where you want to install Windows. Be very careful not to select the drive or partition containing your current operating system. After this, just sit back and wait. There is not much to do till the installation finishes.

Any Specific drivers which may need to be installed which Windows 7 does not detect or recognize, you will need to install manually.

As for Anti Virus programs, I'm not sure how many may be compatible with Windows 7 so far, but the ones being offered are Kaspersky (beta testing), AVG 7 and Norton 360 v3.0 (beta testing)

Dual Monitors are automatically recognized and configured correctly.

The Taskbar is different and it's a bit weird at first, but when you're in the habit of running multiple programs and the first time you hover the mouse over the buttons on the taskbar and move it over the previews that are presented, it really becomes totally cool.

With the Networking, there is a minor annoyance, they introduced a new feature called Home Group. But at the same time, they took away the ability to easily (Oxymoron here) Name or change the name of the Network. It's fairly easy once you know the trick to it. But right now, without shutting down and Bootiing into Windows 7, I can not for the life of me remember how I did it.

Other than that, I haven't really had much chance to fool with it much yet.

While I do like some of the new features, I'm more of the old school kind of person as I got my start using DOS 3.2
So I have a habit of changing things to suit the way I like them rather than leaving them the way some fool over at Microsoft thinks we should have it.

Oh, before I forget, I haven't used the start menu yet as Microsoft has been kind enough to include a Windows Explorer button on the TaskBar. :)
But from my first glance at it, it does look a hell of a lot better than the Default setting that was included in Windows Vista and XP. I'll find out more later today when I get to checking Windows 7 out some more and this time I intend to check out the Start menu.

#6 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

I downloaded a copy from MS, and was considering a gander at it as I have a basically unused older windows installation drive in the system I can boot to by changing the boot order in my system BIOS. I've just been a bit leery about what it might write to other drives; for instance, XP monitors my other drives for deletions. I can turn off monitoring on other drives, but a few boots later it's back monitoring them again, and I've never been successful in turning that off permanently. Makes me wonder what this version might write to other system drives that it's not installed on.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#7 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

So much for that idea, it won't even start an install. Shortly after selecting Install, I get this error, and it won't install:

Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.win] does not exist.

Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

#8 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Aha, bad download, need to try again.

#9 Dragonslore

Dragonslore

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

You may find this site to be useful for Working with and Tweaking Windows 7 :)

http://www.tweakwin7.com/

Also, from the Tweak Win7 site - Download More Themes for Windows 7

- The Official Microsoft Windows 7 Personalization site
- iThinkDiff.com's Windows 7 Themes
- IntoWindows Windows 7 Themes

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button