Internet problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi people!! I actually have a problem with my internet and it doesn't really have to do with my PC or anything but i really couldn't figure out where i should put this post on, so i guess i will take a shot in posting here. So this internet problem is actually a really chronic one and it has already lasted for 6 or 7 months andi still couldn't find out what is wrong with it. So basically, i am not able to download anything from any website when the file size exceed 100mb. So here is the tricky, my speed in downloading those files are actually quite high as i can reach 1.5mb/s without any trouble however the thing is, after i downloaded those files, i realize that it is corrupted, i even tried downloading other files from other website and the result is the same. I have also tried downloading the file from a new laptop and even go wired with it, however it is still corrupted. So i phoned my ISP and the guy said they have never encounter such problem as the signal and everything is good and so on. I have changed my router, my modem(although it is the same brand and model) which the internet provider provided me with and i even changed my cable spiltter and cable wiring, but the problem still persist.

So what could be the problem beside all this thing?

And as i mention, i have gone wired and wireless with my internet but i still couldn't solve anything.

I just couldn't download any big file and i am really desperate in finding a cure for it, anyone out there willing to give me a hint and to assist me in finding a cure?

thanks in advance =D

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:04 PM

Tell us what you are using for download.
Browser? Which one.
Other download manager? What program.
Or are you using FTP? What FTP client.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Is this the same computer that you posted about here:

http://www.spywarein...?...=122361&hl=
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

yes, it is the same computer that i used to post the thread there however, it is a separate problem from it as this thread that i am posting here is a chronic problem that has already lasted for 6 or 7 months affecting multiple computer that i used. However the thread that i am posting regarding the spyware removal is purely related to this computer which i am suspicious of having spyware or trojan on it. However, as i mention; this thread is more toward resolving an issue with my internet problem that i have been suffering due to something that i am not sure of which is effecting my download for being corrupted and i have tried with many computer even new one, but i am still having the same problem. As to answer to Mother Lion of SWI, i am using Mozilla as my browser and i am using flashget as a download manager and i am not using any FTP or torrent related program

And by the way, i will show a TCP statistic from the netstate command, please feel free to tell me if there is anything wrong in it.

TCP Statistics for IPv4

Active Opens = 4160
Passive Opens = 2471
Failed Connection Attempts = 548
Reset Connections = 288
Current Connections = 6
Segments Received = 297321
Segments Sent = 256779
Segments Retransmitted = 1089

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

As to answer to Mother Lion of SWI, i am using Mozilla as my browser and i am using flashget as a download manager and i am not using any FTP or torrent related progra

Try getting Firefox as your browser - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Disable flashget and use the regular Firefox downloader.
Let us know if that works better.
UNITE

#6 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

Thanks Mother Lion of SWI for your reply! However it's the same. With Firefox downloader or flashget or normal internet explorer downloader.

#7 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Almost out of ideas.
You say downloads over 100MB fail - do smaller downloads succeed? If so, is 100MB the exact boundary?
UNITE

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

Do you have the same software loaded on each computer?? Or have you run similar media, like from Sony on each computer?? I am wondering if the problem is some DRM software that has been installed on your computer by some other program... What types of files are you trying to download??

Also, what is your ISP?? I know Comcast and some others are putting limits on downloads and there are rumors that some are doing so surreptitiously...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hey, sorry for the late reply!

So to answer to Mother Lion of SWI, the file size doesn't really need to be 100MB. Sometime even 90 or 80MB gets corrupted when i download them. And i have realized a trend going on when my download gets corrupted. Usually, the longer i take to download a file, the much possibility it is that it will get corrupted. Usually, smaller file does not get corrupted.

And to answer to Budfred, I do not have any software installed in each of my computer and i do not have similar media too.

My ISP is STARHUB and yes, it is a Singapore based internet provider.

Thanks for all of your replies! =D

Edited by cold10me, 04 February 2009 - 10:33 AM.

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

What I am asking is if you have played any music or movies on your computer that may have secretly installed DRM software to keep you from downloading files that are protected... When you have tried downloads, are you downloading media or programs... It might be worthwhile to find a large unprotected file (more than 100 MB) to download and see if that goes okay... This might be something like a software suite that you don't really want to use, but just to see if it will download... If it does, that could mean that you have DRM software blocking your downloads...
Budfred

#11 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Those are good questions of Budfred's. But another thing to consider is the connection between slow download speed and corruption. Slow download speed generally means that many packets arrive wrong or not at all, and have to be resent. Seems like your cable is overloaded, or if you are using phone line (DSL or dialup) the phone line is noisy. If the phone line is suspect you can get your local telephone company to check their wire.
UNITE

#12 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hi all! Thanks for all of your replies, i am deeply grateful of it!

First starting off with Budfred. I am sorry that i have misinterpret what you wrote but i do not think this is the reason as i have tried on another laptop with few things downloaded on it and the result is the same. Another thing that i can assure myself that this is not the problem is that, sometimes i am able to download the same file, example; a 168MB file with no problem but sometimes i won't be able to successfully download this same file without a corruption in it. I think that this is basically a fluctuating problem, might be something to do with the modem or router that i do not know about.

And to answer back to Mother Lion of SWI, my download speed for the same file can reach to about 1.5MB to 1.7MB and it is able to download the file pretty fast however, when i receive back to my end, i will have a failure in installing it because of the corruption. However, i am still able to successfully download them sometimes. It is like a "come and go situation" but perhaps one that is more frequently spotted and visible problem.

I would like to appreciate all of your kindness in helping me once again, it's so hard to discover such a weird problem alone and i really couldn't think of a solution anymore to it but i feel that such problem might perhaps be incurable if the problem lies with my ISP itself.

#13 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

If you know someone else with a connection similar to your who will let you use his/her internet connection, please take your laptop over and try some downloads... If it goes smoothly, it means that it is your modem, router, wiring or something else external to your computer that is causing the problem... If you can isolate it that much, problem solving is much easier...
Budfred

#14 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for your reply! =)

Yeah, i have tried on my friend's internet connection and it was able to download smoothly but i just couldn't do it for mine.

And yes, i know that it is on my side that is causing the problem, however i just couldn't rule out which is the main causes. I have changed my router into the one that my ISP claims, is really compatible with my modem but the problem still persist for some reason.

And just today, i have bought a new gold plated cable which the shopkeeper claims is really good for internet uses. However, the problem is still there.

I have even tried using direct USB connection to my modem, but even so, the problem just wouldn't go away.

I have thought about the external issue with my computer that is causing a problem with the modem, but is it even possible that 3 of my new laptops have such external issues that will cause a problem with just the modem?

I am really at a lost...........

I am using a Motorola SB5101 modem by the way, does this modem give so much problem to other people as well?

#15 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:28 AM

I have the same modem connected to a D-Link router and I have had no problems... However, I used to have a lot of difficulty some years ago and I ended up getting a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) which stopped the problems... It turned out that the problem was the variability in either the power to the modem or the house power... Given that you have tried most other options, that might be the way to go next... You can find them for about $30-35 in the US, but I don't know what options you have where you live...

The wire could be the problem, but if you have a good coaxial cable, it will usually be fine... You can check how good a connection you have with the modem software... You could try the cable without the splitter to see if that works better... How long is the cable you are using?? If it is more than a few feet, the signal will get weaker...

If the problem persists even with these ideas and all that you have done, I would bet there is something wrong with the wiring into your home or the ISP has a problem they have not found or admitted...
Budfred

#16 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Sorry for the late reply as i have been rather busy this few days.

Thanks for all of your help! =)

#17 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

Did you fix the problem??
Budfred

#18 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

Sorry for the late reply, well...however i guess i shouldn't bother you guys since this problem is entirely dire and weird for me and to other people here

I don't even know where to start so as to find the problem since i have already done what i could...

Well, i am just letting nature takes it course i guess...

#19 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Sorry for the late reply, well...however i guess i shouldn't bother you guys since this problem is entirely dire and weird for me and to other people here

I don't even know where to start so as to find the problem since i have already done what i could...

Well, i am just letting nature takes it course i guess...

I don't really understand what you are saying... Did you fix the problem?? Did you try an uninterruptible power supply?? If you don't give us information, there is no possibility that we can help you...
Budfred

#20 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

thanks for your reply! =) don't get me wrong Budfred, i appreciate your help in assisting me. Yes, i tried, but it's the same...basically the corruption is just there and well, to be honest, there are actually so much causes of it for this corruption and i have rule out nearly quite a few of them, there are basically nothing that i can think of now. If there is only one thing that i suspect that could pretty well be the causes, it did be my ISP mistake.

But i couldn't conclude anything, not without any evidence, but then, as it is affecting multiple of my computer...i did feel that the causes lie on my ISP and not really the issue of my computer or my wiring, since i changed them.

Thanks for your unconditional help Budfred

#21 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

If you did not use an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), you did not use one of the simplest options that might work... If you can afford one, they also help to extend the life of your PC and reduce the risk of surges and other problems over the life of the PC, so even if it wouldn't help this problem, it would be worth it... It is your choice... I would be helpful if you would actually answer the questions asked since it is very hard to have any idea of what you have or haven't tried if you don't... Again, your choice...
Budfred

#22 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

I personally think it is the wiring within your walls (from where the cable connects to your house). This would be difficult to test without professional equipment. You might be able to get some information from a loopback test - but I don't know enough to tell you how to set that up.
UNITE

#23 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

Sorry for the late reply and again i thank all of your replies.

Sorry Budfred, your question was using the Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) right??

Yes, i am sorry that i didn't seem to answer your question but i will try to get my hand on that thing

for i am really busy at the moment in time to get my hand on the thing, but however, i think it might not be the issue because i do not really have any power fluctuating issue for the years i have been using my computer, although i do have blackout at my home 3 or 4 times before, but after that, it did be all fine.

Again, i would like to appreciate your effort for helping me for i am slow in the intake of many things.

And to cnm, YES! That's what i did suspect from the start, but the technician came down to my house and test the wiring with their equipment and everything is fine, although i don't understand how they did it.

But for this past few days, i feel that it did perhaps be something on the ISP side, since they have lots of problem recently than before.

Thanks for all of your effort in guiding me! =)

#24 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

You might want to run the Line Quality Testing tool at http://www.dslreports.com/tools
UNITE

#25 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

The type of voltage fluctuations I am referring to are not likely to effect much that you can tell... When I was having a problem with that, my computer seemed to run well, but my Internet kept cutting out and it was quite slow... After I set up the UPS, it was like I had just subscribed to high speed Internet... I have since learned that it also helps preserve the computer components by evening out the voltage going through the computer... It is well worth the money... If you are in the US, you can get them for about $50 or less... If you are not relying on a battery backup, the size can be quite small to get the advantages of evening out the current... Here are some choices:

http://www.newegg.co...amp;Order=PRICE

I recommend the APC, but any are probably okay...
Budfred

#26 cold10me

cold10me

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

Hey guys!!, thanks for your reply, been really grateful for it..

I am sorry i took so long just to reply this, but i have been really busy and i have been overseas too, so i was really in a rush.

Thanks budfred and cnm .

I will try everything that you guys have ask, but i realize that i did the line test before, and yes...it shown quite a number of country that i am having packet loss in it, when i mention this to the ISP, this simply told me that it has nothing to do with the connection, but well, yet...i do have my doubt.

So to budfred, i think my problem has been at its least for this few days, well, i don't have lag anymore and it did be probably be the high quality wire that i bought which solve the problem...however i still couldn't confirm anything....thanks anyways guys!

#27 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Glad to here it's better, even though it remains a mystery. I don't suppose there is any other ISP available to you? Satellite? Although satellite service is usually reported as unreliable..
UNITE

#28 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Since the issue appears to be resolved this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Budfred

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button