Photo

Mylifeisgood virus attachement sent from my email and I don't know how?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FriendlyGhost

FriendlyGhost

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

Hi! I recently had a trojan virus and had to reformat and reinstall. I am all clear now and have antivirus running with all windows updates and have scanned all of my data several times before reloading them to my computer. Anyway, I got an email from a friend today that they received an email from me today which had an attachment called "mylifeisgood" that their Norton Antivirus flagged as a virus.

Not only did I not send my friend this email, but there is no record of any email being sent to her from my account either in my sent items nor in the database of my ISP, which claims their antivirus and security would not have let such an email through.

I have 2 questions for anyone that may know the answer:

1) Is there some way that someone could have sent an email from my account, or is it more likely that they just used my name in the name field and sent it from any old email address? (My friend couldn't check because she deleted the email)

AND

2) I am more concerned about WHY they are targeting me and a friend who I am emailing with. My friend is not in my "Contacts" so I have no idea how they would have gotten her and my information? Is this a keylogger or does this sound like something anyone else has come across?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

I don't know all the details about how they used your particular email address... However, it is common for SPAMmers and other criminals to use legit email addresses to send messages that try to entice people to open an infection... It is possible they got your email address while your computer was infected or that they got it from your friend's address book, in which case that computer may be infected... If your friend were able to view the full header info, she might get an idea of how it was spoofed, but it will still not tell you or her where it really came from... These creeps go to a far amount of trouble to conceal their actual locations and use botnets of infected computers to do most of the dirty work... You may want to consider getting rid of that email address and notifying people on your list of contacts that you will no longer be using it... However, depending on what infection you had, you may need to take other security measures, like changing passwords and account numbers...

If you exchanged emails with your friend at any time, there is record of that in your browser, so it would have been accessible to spyware...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 FriendlyGhost

FriendlyGhost

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

Ah - I see, they must have gotten it from my browser while my computer was infected. They may have my email address and a list of people I emailed, but from here on in I should be ok though shouldn't I? Given that I have reformatted and reinstalled with all of the windows updates and firewall and antivirus running now. My computer should be clean from here forward, and I guess what I'm really saying is that if they are going to spoof people using my email address or one that looks like it, chances are they would do that whether or not I keep this email address. The only advantage I see is if my friends actually pay attention to my email that says I changed my email address and make a mental note not to open any emails from my old email address. Which I kinda feel like they are too much of a bunch of knuckle heads to pay any attention to that anyway :rolleyes:

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Ah - I see, they must have gotten it from my browser while my computer was infected. They may have my email address and a list of people I emailed, but from here on in I should be ok though shouldn't I? Given that I have reformatted and reinstalled with all of the windows updates and firewall and antivirus running now. My computer should be clean from here forward, and I guess what I'm really saying is that if they are going to spoof people using my email address or one that looks like it, chances are they would do that whether or not I keep this email address. The only advantage I see is if my friends actually pay attention to my email that says I changed my email address and make a mental note not to open any emails from my old email address. Which I kinda feel like they are too much of a bunch of knuckle heads to pay any attention to that anyway :rolleyes:

I would still warn them anyway and I would consider that the creeps may have more of your personal information and may use it to rip you off...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button