• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wovaki

wovaki

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hello

When it comes to computer security, I am a little bit paranoid. What I would like to know, it how secure am I, also if any of my software might be conflicting with each other?

My Security Software:
1. AVG 8.0 (Free)
2. Ad-Aware AE (Free)
3. Windows Defender
4. ZoneAlarm (Free Firewall only)
5. HijackThis (I only occasionally use this)

AVG and Windows Defender have the "Real-Time" scanning enabled. I think I disabled Ad-Aware's process watcher or whatever it is, and I removed it from startup, although I notice it has a service installed.

Thanks!

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

The possible conflict in that list would be AdWatch from AdAware and Windows Defender... Make sure that only one of the resident protections is running...

HJT is really intended only to be used with assistance by someone who understands how to use it safely... It is NOT a protection tool, it is a diagnostic and fixing tool...

Ultimately, your safety online probably has more to do with your choices about which sites you visit, what emails you open, what attachments you open and so on...

If you are using Firefox, it is a good idea to use NoScripts since it can protect against many drive-by infections... It is more hassle, but much safer...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 wovaki

wovaki

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

The possible conflict in that list would be AdWatch from AdAware and Windows Defender... Make sure that only one of the resident protections is running...

HJT is really intended only to be used with assistance by someone who understands how to use it safely... It is NOT a protection tool, it is a diagnostic and fixing tool...

Ultimately, your safety online probably has more to do with your choices about which sites you visit, what emails you open, what attachments you open and so on...

If you are using Firefox, it is a good idea to use NoScripts since it can protect against many drive-by infections... It is more hassle, but much safer...

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention, I am using Firefox, along with NoScript.

As far as I know, Ad-Watch is disabled, in the settings I have disabled the Ad-Watch Live module "Processes Protection" which seems to be the only one I am able to use anyways in the free version. Under alerts and notifications its at "Notify me only of important events" which is the default I think. I'm pretty sure I also denied it access to start with windows, so it does not automatically start up.

I do have Windows Defender's real time scanner on though, but which would be the better one to use?

Thanks

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

I have not recommended using AdAware for more than a year and I don't have it on my computer at this point... I am running Vista at the moment and have left Windows Defender running because it is adequate... If I wanted something else, I would either use Spybot's Teatimer or MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and turn off the resident protection from Windows Defender... However Defender is probably sufficient...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 wovaki

wovaki

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

I have not recommended using AdAware for more than a year and I don't have it on my computer at this point... I am running Vista at the moment and have left Windows Defender running because it is adequate... If I wanted something else, I would either use Spybot's Teatimer or MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and turn off the resident protection from Windows Defender... However Defender is probably sufficient...

How come you wouldn't reccomend AdAware?
I have tried MalwareBytes, does it have a resident shield (I don't remember)? I only installed it long enough to run a scan and see that it didn't pick up anything at all, so I figured my current setup was fine for now. About Spybot, I heard that it was becoming not as good, it hasn't been updated in awhile, or something along those lines.

I like AdAware, it has found and removed Trojan's and other crap that AVG failed to find, and on download.com (sorry if I'm not supposed to post that here, but it seems that's the only place to download it), it has millions of downloads.

Thanks, I appreciate your time. I am starting to see how much of a helpful site this is!

Wovaki

#6 Guest_Senbonzakura_*

Guest_Senbonzakura_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

Hi wovaki, here is some information about AdAware and MBAM:

AdAware can slow down the system, the paid version of MBAM has a resident shield.

and on download.com (sorry if I'm not supposed to post that here, but it seems that's the only place to download it), it has millions of downloads.

And yes, on download.com there are many downloads. :lol:

Edited by Senbonzakura, 13 April 2009 - 10:01 AM.

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

AdAware has some internal problems, their program has been glitchy for some time and they have aligned themselves with at least one malware company... I don't tell people not to use it if you like it, but I certainly won't recommend it... Spybot is still the better of the 2...

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is generally more effective and I keep it installed so that I can run scans if needed... You do need to pay for it to get the resident protection, but you may be able to use it temporarily in the free version as a trial...
Budfred

#8 wovaki

wovaki

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Alright thanks.

So, should I uninstall AdAware and install MalwareBytes and Spybot, and then activate Spybot's resident protection (tea timer?).

If I do this, should Windows Defender's resident protection be disabled, if so should I use Spybot's or Windows Defender's?

Thanks

Edited by wovaki, 14 April 2009 - 05:29 PM.

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

It is up to you what set of programs you want to use... If you install Spybot and use TeaTimer, you will need to turn the resident function in Defender off... If you are happy with what you have, you can just leave it...
Budfred

#10 wovaki

wovaki

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, but I don't really like Windows Defender that much, its definitions don't update that often, and I have never had it find any spyware, only detect changes to startup, etc. Which would you recommend for resident protection, Spybot or Defender? Also, with Defender if I turn off the resident protection do I have to turn it all off, or only the program scanning or whatever it is?

Also, whats the offical website for Spybot, and MalwareBytes, or should I just download them from download.com?

Thanks alot!
Wovaki

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

If resident protection is effective, you will probably not see much going on -- the intent is to keep the problems from happening...

If you read our FAQ, the links for Spybot and MBAM are both there -- to the originating sites...

If you turn off Defender in favor of TeaTimer, turn off all resident functions except updating... You can run any scan on a "as needed" basis...
Budfred

#12 xblindx

xblindx

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:07 AM

TeaTimer can get annoying, I'm not going to lie. It pops up when any changes are made to the registry, startup, etc. Many are legitimate changes and if you do not know what you are doing, you may deny a legitimate change.

Also, make sure to disable any resident protection before removing any malware found in scans. Resident protection can interfere with the removal process.
Posted Image
Please help people in need for free by visiting Free Rice
Please use the Posted Image button to post a reply. Do not use the Posted Image button

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button